DT466

22xRacing

we have a hot farm 806 with a DT466 motor, block came from a IH dump truck(468ci i think). not sure on the turbo, has a p-pump, 688833C2 head, 1979 intake(the date stamped on the sticker). hopped up cam but idk how big.

I've heard a lot of ppl say 600hp easily out of a DT466 with very little money

how do they do that? would we be close to that? i don't think it has close to 600hp

I've heard of a "+" head, how much better are they than the 833? how much does porting help? would an aftermarket head be worth 3-4k? or is there an easier(read cheaper) way to increase power?

i've also heard of the newer intake being better with a 3" inlet? does that help a lot too?

I don't know the year of the block, but im assuming its a flat tappet cam, how do i tell if the block is able to go to roller cam/lifters?(466C vs 466B?) would that be a great help as well? can you retrofit a roller cam in a 466B?

we might be putting an a-pump on it to go pull in a series, otherwise with the p-pump we do alright at the open shows but the deeres kick our ass with huge cubed motors, i've heard its not that cost effective to boost the 466 up to the 540 range, is that right?

sorry for all the questions, im used to Small block chevy's but i love this thing and would like to make it more competitive, thanks

First off where will you be pulling, a + head will be a little better for you. A really good port and polish job will help a great deal. A good regrind on the cam will help, get a good set of pistons, and get your rods hardened with good rod bolts. Also getca a good turbo S400 or something similar. Riverside Engine in Tiffin Ohio is a good place for head and engine work, also Wipeout Enterprises is a good place. I am building a PPL Hot Farm tractor right now so these are a few of the places I use.

ha thanks WUnderwood, seems like a good site, i read alot on here today and learned a lot already

paul, i've read a few of your threads already as well. We pull in Nebraska.

what did the plus head come off of? what years?

Will pistons really help the power end of it that much? they have been cut for fire rings already.

im not to worried about the rods(knock on wood), i've heard there good to 600hp easily, and this things been turned 4500+, usually closer to 5 grand when we dump it

I will try to get a number off the turbo tommorrow, ik we just put a different one on at the end of the season last year and it didn't improve much

how much fuel can you dump into these things before you have problems? i think our pump is close to its lowest setting

thanks again for the replies,

plus heads where ag heads combines, ect. on the intake side under the manifold there will be a + cast into the head. Is your head or block fireringed or are your valve reliefs in the pistons deeper??? If you go to a higher lift cam you will have to have your valve reliefs in the pistons cut deeper. If the engine is not fireringed I whould get it done. You should be in the perfect world you should be safe at 600hp. I would take off your pump and have it tested and setup for the hp you are wanting and send your injectors with it. Um you also might want to look into your rearend upgraded ta, 3rd gear support, and a good flywheel is a must.

ik the motor is fireringed. i don't know if the valve reliefs were cut for a high lift cam or not.

The ta is gone, and im sure it has a steel flywheel, and ik it has a pulling pressure plate and a 3 disc slipper clutch with a safety blanket. besides having a roll cage the safety on this thing is pretty much covered.

what intake are you going with? right now it has the 675153C1(large tractor intake) on it but i've heard the 1993 truck intake is the best(don't have a part number), but it has the inlet pointing down i've heard, the 1815307C1 doesn't seem like a bad intake either with a 3" opening and being aluminum

i looked at the turbo today but the only numbers i could read were 130 and SJD 10010, which i don't think mean much, i'll have to pull some more tins off to get a better look at it, but it looks about 2-3x as big as the factory garrett

I would get an s400 or gt45 or so for a charger, intake for mine will prob. be the dozer one it is supposedly heavy built which is prob the other pn you have.

That 1815307 is from a early 90s truck, I've sold a few on ebay. If I remember right, it fits 89-early 93. It does have the big ol 3" opening; though, I'm not toatally sure if the bolts and ports are symmetrical to run it facing down. The truck ones faced up.

So The 1815307 Won't Fit The 688833c2 Head?

Paul 672814c1 Is The Dozer Intake

Does A Spacer Plate Work At All On These? Kind Of Like A Spacer On A Carb To Allow More Air? Is Volume Important On These Diesel's? Or Is Velocity Still The Main Thing?

Sorry For The All Caps, Caps Lock Won't Go Off On Keyboard And I Don't Feel Like Hitting Shift The Whole Post Lol

Anymore info on your engine regarding HP?

The more I read about these dt466 engines the more I want to stuff one my very very slow project. %-600hp would be about the most , I think, I would want. So I am curious as to what all yours has on it.

not sure on exact hp numbers, we did turn out pump up to around 600cc for the pull this weekend and could definately notice a difference. after talks with the pump guy i'd say we are right around our 600 hp number

hopefully we get the tractor split as the clutch is slippin bad and maybe turn it up a little more before the next pull to really test it as there wasn't much competition out this last pull

Well keep us updated. I would like to see what your using because after looking and more pricing for a more powerful 466 I will just have to start with the basics until I win the lotto.

I chatted with Max at hypermax and he gave me a "recipe," for a reliable 1200hp+ and man does it get expensive very QUICKLY.

chrapladm im pretty sure all the internals are stock, the head is stock, it does have a cam in it and bigger injectors(i asked dad for details and he didn't know exact numbers)

i think the most expensive things for these motors are a good pump and turbo, im pretty sure our pump is a 13 mm p7100

alot of our parts and pieces for our tractor came from superfarm tractors updating their equipment

as for price, shop around, check out pulloff, id call around salvage yards for a block

after we cracked our last block we bought an old dump truck for around 500, pulled the motor, scrapped the truck for pry close to 500, then the stock pump is worth around 3-400 i believe

a good pump will run you 3-4 grand, and a good turbo another grand

what is your budget? what are you puttin it in?

Well because of many other reasons I will just be doing a body swap onto a 93-95 IH 45/4700 chassis. It already had the engine and chassis and rearend I want so I thought a body swap would be easier than trying to stuff one in a f350. PLus I am now living in Australia where everything is outrageously expensive as far as F350s.

So I am thinking I will have about $6-8000 for extra parts and power mods for the engine. I will also be driving this on a normal basis. Not necessarily daily. SO no slipper tranny for me. The Eaton FS series tranny that comes with the IH will have to do for awhile and then down the road I will HAVE to upgrade.

This is a very very slow build. I also have to save for alot of other things that aren't about the truck. (6 plane tickets x $1500 and enough money to live out of a hotel with 4 children for a month)

SO that is why I am trying to learn as much as I can.

My goal is to have a truck 73-79 crew cab body that looks like an f450.

sounds like a very fun and interesting project.

for around 6-8k i think you could easily meet your 600 hp goal especially since you already have the motor, and i believe those years have the p-pump already and the good intake so you are already ahead in the game

Back