DT466E Hole in piston

Yooper75

Life sucks, get a helmet!
We have a 1999 International 4600 series truck with the DT466E and in the last week or so one of the injector tips broke off and burned punched a hole in the piston. What I'm wondering is, is this a common problem with the injectors and is there a recall on them that anyone knows about?

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

A recall for a 13 year old engine? Seriously?
Most DT466E don't even live to see 10 years of service.

They do last more than 10 years, and no, it's not common. Freak of nature, you might say.

Ive not seen one melt through the piston but I have seen several blow injector tips off. I have a couple good used pistons if you intrested

I've never seen a 466 do that but I have seen a 444e lost a tip and destroy an engine. They both share a similar heui injector. BTW, they do last more than ten years and can go over 400k when maintained.

common cause of lost tips is either running it low on fuel, which lets air into injectors, or water in fuel. avoid those two and almost never drop an injector. if you had either of those happen a case could be made for the other 5 injectors being on borrowed time. might want to think about doing all 6

Last edited:
Back