dual disk performance

soturi

so i just put a new valair nodular iron dual disk in front of my nv5600 (http://www.valairinc.com/performance/images/nmu70nv45ddn.jpg).

i didn't really have a chance to do a good break-in - about 75 miles of unloaded, in-city, then 350 miles @ 5,000 lbs and then 200 miles @ 7,0000 lbs. so now starting from a standstill (fwd or reverse) i get a bit of shudder going on, kind of like the old one would slip but much more pronounced.

i asked valair about it and they said my crappy break-in probably put hot spots on the flywheel/plates - unfixable (and just my luck).

i've also seen, however, a few posts in a few threads mention that dual disks just kinda drive this way even with a good break-in. they're grabby and shudder at partial clutch engagement and slow speeds, just because of the nature of ceramic buttons.

so i'm interested in everyone's experience. do all dual disks drive w/ a bit of a shudder, even w/ a good break-in? and if not and my shudder is only because i f'kd myself... anybody have any luck grinding away hot spots with, say, a few hard 3rd gear starts??

:thankyou2:

What are you trying to do with 3rd gear starts?

grind away hot spots?

seems logical??

:nail:

it's also occurred to me that if it is hot spots, i might just resurface the flywheel insert and replace the clutch plates... but 3rd gear starts are free =)

This past summer i got to drive a '91 F-Superduty box truck that shuddered like hell taking off in 2nd. One day I got pissed off and wound that 'ol IDI up to about 3000 and rubbed the clutch good and hard. After that, it took off just as smooth as you'd want it to.

...make sure everything on your truck is tight, carrier bearing an ujoints good...

aarrrggghhhh. i have no carrier bearing, but i did start that "driveline slop" thread in this same forum... i'll post results from the 3rd gear experiment later today. it's worth a shot, if nothing else.

dan, thanks for responding, too. gary's email was helpful, just figured i'd poke around the forums for extra input. any idea how a resurfacing and clutch plate replacement would work out, if the 3rd gear idea doesn't?

:Cheer:

If you got to pull it back out, I'll help you figure out what it is and get it right, anything is possible.
Just make sure you check everything else, sometimes people are so sure of the cause, they never check the obvious.

Just make sure you check everything else, sometimes people are so sure of the cause, they never check the obvious.

Guilty.

It definitely makes sense that my driveline slop could have ruined even a perfect break in. If the 3rd gear launch is fail, I'll chase down the slop issue b4 re-tackling the clutch.

so... i'm not sure what exactly would get "seated in"? i thought i'd just be grinding away uneven patterns in the buttons or the flywheel insert?

no it will even them out they are not 100% perfect and when u seat it good it helps them i have put a several brand new button clutch in that slip after installed seat it good and it will hold

Dan... that list of "do's and don'ts" that comes w/ the clutch... at the bottom of the current "do" list, you should probably add this:

"after the initial break-in period, hit 4 or 5 really good boosted 3rd gear launches".

=)

shudder is almost completely gone, after about 5 launches around town. after each one there was a noticeable reduction in shudder when launching "normally" in 2nd gear. there's none in reverse any more, and none when downshifting. there's still a very minor shudder during 2nd gear starts, but it's pretty apparent that will disappear too after one or two more 3rd gear launches today. thanks for the help!

thanks for everybody's input. now, to start pinpointing that #$$@*! driveline slop...

Back