Dual disk really needed?

maxwedgehead

Traded up into an 08 6.7 g56 last week that has no mods. Going to delete it, question is, dual disc really needed for just a tuned truck? I can pick up a single disc and single mass flywheel conversion for $650. Just really like the way it drives and not really wanting a heavy pedal or being hard to shift as a daily driver. Going from an nv4500 with a dual disc to this g56 was such a nice change and not wanting to ruin it.

I did deletes on a buddy's truck. Totally stock other than that. Smoked the stock clutch in a week. He opted for a dual disc.

I would think a single would work? Prepare for the noise.....lol

Traded up into an 08 6.7 g56 last week that has no mods. Going to delete it, question is, dual disc really needed for just a tuned truck? I can pick up a single disc and single mass flywheel conversion for $650. Just really like the way it drives and not really wanting a heavy pedal or being hard to shift as a daily driver. Going from an nv4500 with a dual disc to this g56 was such a nice change and not wanting to ruin it.

Do you do any towing? Do you like to drive it hard and horse around?

on my 07 5.9 it was stock until 110K when I put on a smarty. I slipped it on the initial test drive the first time I layed on the throttle. I then put in a 3600 SBC DD and hated life for the next 100k.

My 2012 still has the stock clutch and it's been deleted since 1000 miles and now has 71k on it. I have a drag tank and tool box in my bed and I rarely tow anymore and if I do it's not much weight.

A couple years ago SBC came out with some new clutch discs and I drove an 06 with a dual disc and it was extremely quiet and and had an easy pedal. However, with that being said I still don't think I would want it for my daily commuter.

Just like lightsout said. I have tuned many that are still driving today with the stock clutch. Not beat on and usually a low tune. But tuned a 2012 on friday with efi from ppei. Truck has 33k miles on it. Slipped right away laying into it with just the tow tune. The newer southbend dd are the way to go in my opinion. I jave done alot of the street 3250dd from them. Feels better than a stock pedal to me and customers say the same. They havent been noisy for a few years now ever since the intermediate plate started using pads. I think a single disc is a waste of money with the torque a 6.7 can push on just tunes. And a ceramic single disc will be rougher to drive than an organic dd

Smarty JR got me about 80K on my 07. Some weekend towing. It just isn't that great a clutch for holding power. If you like the feel of it, be prepared that it is a wear item and will require replacement. The new dual disks are silent. Southbend has a multi-friction clutch with lower plate loads that I would love to try out. I never noticed much of an increase when I installed a Valar dual disk into my 07 or my 98 (same clutch). 07 was still pretty soft to me. 98 was just as stiff as it ever was.

I've been daily driving a dual disc for the last year and I hated it. Normally for a customer I would just put a dual disc on for them. But I have installed the same single disk in an 07 G56 that I am considering. It was a 5.9 truck with a tuner and exhaust. Its held up fine. No I am not going to beat on my 08, driving and towing at max 18,000 pounds. The single disk I put in the 07 truck drives excellent, no harsh engagement, its a kevlar/ceramic disk. I don't recall the plate load.

The guy I traded my second gen to for this 08 told me it had a dual disc. It doesn't drive like one or sound like it. So I assume its a stock clutch truck, the only thing I've noticed every factory clutch truck I've drove you can just side step the clutch shifting gears and it will be still smooth as silk, this truck is quite abit more grabby in that aspect. I will pull the cover off of the bell housing adaptor and see if it still has the dual mass set up.

But the thing I'm worried about is the torque of the 6.7 with the same single disk. Now of course sometimes I will turn it up and beat on it. I've always driven a 500-600 horse dd and I'm done with that. No mods on this truck besides deletes, EFI, and an intake. Thats why I'm building a halfton 12 valve to have fun with.

I put a SB3250 in my truck thats a daily.. Overall I hate it, I wish I had gone with a single valair for daily driving.. That said 20k miles at just under 500hp and the SB is still working just fine.

Back