dual use truck

randylamarr

OK guys I want to have a pulling/drag truck that means an auto is what i want. I think a ford is where it is at for me but im open to sugestions im in the military so there is not an ATM falling out of my butt. With that being said i also know that i cant have a truck for 10k either. so let me know what you guys would do thanks.

If your on a budget get a 12v or a duramax. Big power for less money than the rest.

man i dont know about a dmax I have read that it takes alot to make big power. I think i found a powerstroke to work with.

How big are you talking? 500hp is atainable with supporting mods and efi live only.

If you don't want to spend alot of money to make big power a Powerstroke would be my last choice.

I'd choose a powerstroke over a 6.2 or 6.5 chevy..but thats not saying much.

with just a ppe programer(600-800$) you can hit around 500 with EFI live(750$) you get alittle more but if you ever do anything anytime you do something different to the truck you just make a new tune for it

You have a good truck already why not drop a 12v in it and go?

I need a daily driver too. im currently deployed in iraq and im just looking to make a list so i can research it.

take a dmax and drop it into a ford, it's something different and you won't have to worry about the front end

Randy, what is your idea of "big power"???? How fast you wanna go with this truck??? What class and how competitive do you want to be in truck pulling????

C-ya

I would like to pull in the 2.6 class or 2.8 if they dont have that big power to me on the street is 650+ and I dont know what it is going to take to get there but i want to try. i watch a bunch of truck pulls and see dodge this and dodge that and now a bunch of people have a d max so that tells me they have the set ups and they work. but i want to be different. so let me know what you guys think.

I have absolutely no idea what it takes besides a big pile of money to make 650+ with a powerstroke on #2 only and legal for the 2.6 class.

It'll even take a bunch to build a reliable Cummins or Duramax at that level AND be legal for the 2.6 class.

oh wow well i guess it will just be for fun

Look, Just take what you got and go out and have fun. No matter what you do to that powerstroke you are not gonna have the power for that full pull or the fastest times at the track. Now you can add a little more ponies to it here and there but it still won't be enough. Believe me, I got a 12v and a 24v 4x4 and 7.3 excursion 4x4. 09 I am going to be hookin the ex a few times. Will it full pull? Probably not. Will it help tear up that motor and tranny so I can finally give my wife a reason to let me do that cr/48re swap into it? Hell yeah and then pull it more and be more competitive.

You should know by now that the military doesn't pay you enough to load up your truck with all the best goodies today and win tomorrow. You got a good truck just have fun with it for now. If you want to make a statement eventually then start buying some parts for a 12v or cr swap. A little hear and there and then get that cummins in and then ask these guys what you need to do to get 600+hp.

06 and newer Duramax's can hit 12's pretty easy with a tuner($750), lift pump($250) and shift kit($68). Mine was pulling consistant 12.7's @ 105mph with the above. Currently building up my uncles Dodge, but it hasn't seen the track/Sled yet, but these guys can help ya in that dept;).

Back