Dually adapters/spacers for single wheel truck

rockjeep73

Well I wanted a setup as simple as possible for putting duals on the rear of the truck once we get to the pulls since we drive the truck there. I also wanted a setup that I would only have to buy two additional tires and use the other two existing rear tires and wheels on the truck. I could not find any kind of adapters or spacers or anything that was going to work for what I had in mind, so I decided to build my own setup.

I started with 4 stock steel dually wheels that I got from a friend. I plasma cut the centers out of two of them. This was the easiest and quickest method since I had two extra wheels.

IMG_6158.jpg

Next I drilled the holes out to 3/4"

IMG_6157.jpg

Next step was to machine 16 lug nuts on the lathe so that they fit into the 3/4" holes in the wheel centers. These lug nuts will center the inner wheel to the outer wheel. I also drilled the lug nuts out to 9/16" so they would slide over the wheel studs. I also trued up the outside of the wheel centers on the lathe to remove the rough plasma cut edge and to insure that everything would be aligned when welded.

IMG_6162.jpg

IMG_6161.jpg

Next step was to cut two pieces of 8" schedule 40 pipe to the desired length.

IMG_6159.jpg

Next I squared both ends of the pipe up on the lathe.

IMG_6160.jpg

The wheel centers were then welded to the pipe.

IMG_6163.jpg

Next step was to weld the pipe to the other dually wheel.

IMG_6165.jpg

I also removed the valve stem and welded the hole shut and drilled a new hole in the dually wheel to relocate the valve stem to the outside of the wheel where its easy to get to. I dont have a picture right now of the inside of the wheel with it bolted up but I had to buy flanged lug nuts with a flat face (as opposed to conical) in order to bolt up the dual wheel combo. The flat lug nut sits against the flat surface of the wheel center welded onto the pipe/spacer. The conical lug nuts that are welded into the wheel center protrude into the conical seat on the existing innner wheel to center and align it.

Here it is all bolted up.

IMG_6168.jpg

IMG_6169.jpg

Only pulled once with the setup so far but it worked flawlessly and was pretty easy to bolt up in the pits.

Sweet! I love Home-brew tech like this. Props to ya for figuring out a way to run duals without breaking the bank. Cheers.

Back