durability of a waterman gear driven pump?

rightwinger

I am currently in the process of a mild build (400 HPish) and am interested in running a waterman gear driven pump. I currently have used a Fuel Boss for close to a year now w/o any issues, but I wanted this p pumped 24v to have a mechanical pump, that was more efficient than the stock 12V pump, and was intrigued with the waterman because there are no belts and it sits higher off the ground than the belt driven ones and would be less likely to get damaged from snow...etc. Just curious how long these are expected to hold up and if they will work well on a daily driver.

Only experience with these pumps has been on pulling trucks. I can't speak of their reliability and lifespan in an application that is constantly used.I'm just assuming that based on your 400 ish number for the build. I understand you want a mechanical pump, but why not just go with an electric liftpump (`100-150 gph) and some good fuel filters. They will give you the fuel you need and be half the cost when it's all said and done. I just think a waterman is complete overkill for your build.

Jordan

I agree it might be complete over kill, but I do want a little wiggle room for more future mods in the future. To be honest I am being modest at 400HP just because I'm not really sure what the outcome will be, and I don't want to get on here sounding like some idiot 16 yr old who is saying he's going to be building a 9 second 1200 HP truck to be a daily driver...lol. I'm refusing to use an electric pump, just not what I want to deal with, I realize they work for some but I have had bad experience with them and even though some of them come with a great warranty that doesn't help me much when my truck is down and I need it to be running asap. Has anyone on here used a waterman or any type of gear driven pump as a DD?

Waste of money on anything other then a full competition engine. They aren't designed for lengthy street use

Last edited:
I would think the inside would be similar if not better quality than a fuel boss or DTT assassin, and they are fine running long periods as a DD. You might be right, but just curious what information you have that makes you believe they wouldn't work for a DD? The price isn't much different than the fuel boss, Dtt, or some electric pumps being sold. With a waterman you also don't have to worry about leaking oil from the oil pan, because even if you coat the bolts holding the bracket on with a good amount of RTV, they still leak. The only way to solve this problem is do an entire gasket on the oil pan while installing the fuel boss or DTT. I have yet to talk to anyone that isn't leaking at least a small amount of oil after installing one of these mentioned pumps. This is another great reason why the Waterman would get my vote.

Because putting a waterman on a 400 HP truck is just dumb. The watermans mount to the vac pump through the a billet front cover or modded stock cover. Have to have the vac pump modded to accept the hex drive of the waterman. You have to have multiple check valves to stop the waterman from blowing the injection pump apart from to much pressure.

Disturbed,

Thanks for the information, but I'm still intrigued by this idea and I don't doubt what you are saying, but what I don't understand is how would the plumbing be any different than my fuel boss? They are both similar pumps and basically I am running a poppet valve set to a certain PSI using springs and shims, anything over a certain PSI it goes through the poppet and into my return. Couldn't this pump be set up in a similar fashion? I plan on having a billet front cover anyway for an adjustable timing gear, and Keating does sell a bolt on hub that requires no welding to the vac pump gear. If I had a poppet valve set up correctly, anything over say 65-70 PSI should go into my return, as long as the poppet is set a bit higher than the OFV my pump would be getting cooled and not risk being blown up....correct me if I am misinformed here, just trying to grasp this before ordering this pump. Thanks again for your help.

Watermans are designed to move 600-900 gallon per hour depending on the one you get. You don't need a waterman on a 400 HP truck. Until you reach over a 1000 HP a waterman is pointless. Your fuel boss or what ever it is won't flow that even close to a waterman. You have to have more then one bypass to keep the pressure from the injection pump.

Waterman can cause a lot of damage in little time if you're not watching it

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

You'd be better off putting a cam in it with the stock fuel pump lobe and putting a 12v lift pump on it.

The DTT Assassin isn't a bad idea for mild street truck wanting a mechanical pump. Only thing I do recommend getting a different regulator or high speed check valve to use instead of the supplied regulator they use. But the DTT Assassin kits will do up to 165-ish GPH and up to 75psi of pressure. Definitely something you can "grow" into.

Only quibble that I have with them is that you can't run them with an aftermarket harmonic balancer...

You'd be better off putting a cam in it with the stock fuel pump lobe and putting a 12v lift pump on it.

x2. Do it for the price of the belt drive pump, and it comes with the bonus of an aftermarket cam!

The belt drive ones are what I am looking to get away from just because I like the idea of not having a belt and I hate the mounting setup on the belt driven pumps because they usually leak oil. Does waterman make a smaller pump that would be more suited for DD?

DTT is actually saying that this pump will not keep up with a 12V very well. And I have had less than great experience with their customer service over the phone. After getting on Tork Tek's page and reading the article on how ineficient the stock 12V pump is, I would not go that route most likely. Wouldn't the OFV on the p pump relieve the pressure on the pump from the waterman? Do any other companies make a gear driven pump that is reputable? I'm not stuck on a waterman, but I am stuck on the idea of a mechanical gear driven pump that doesn't have to be mounted on the oil pan......

:doh: no a single ofv will not move enough fuel to safely run a high flow waterman/ gear driven pump. You can't flow enough through the small return. Obviously you have it in your head that this is what you have to have even though everyone is telling you its a stupid idea. so put the thing on there and let us know how it works out. Even though you don't have a clue what your asking other then to say your running a waterman on your dd. I bet you roll coal too, don't you?

Last edited:
Back