Duramax intake manifold decisions

house

the Fat kid!
I have it narrowed down to 2 options for my 2.6 motor. Brief run down Lbz block ,60 over billet Mahle. Arp main studs. Lb7 crank, R&R rods. Empire max Effort race heads. Custom cam list keeps going Turbo will be mounted in front of the motor.
My choices are banks and the DHD style I guess what is everyone's thoughts. The banks is more expensive , is it worth the price difference

Banks
This is going on a 2.6 truck, turbo will be front mount. Just wanting opinions why the banks one might be better then DHD. DHD 200-106 LBZ LMM Super High Flow Intake Bridge [200-106] - $459.00 : All Season Diesel Performance, Your Duramax diesel performance headquarters by Tony Burkhard owner of the Dirty Hooker

http://www.bankspower.com/products/show/?option_id=259%7C2%7CDiesel%20Trucks%2C%20%0A06-07%20Chevy/GMC%20-%206.6L%20Duramax%20LLY-LBZ%7C9

DHD
This is going on a 2.6 truck, turbo will be front mount. Just wanting opinions why the banks one might be better then DHD. DHD 200-106 LBZ LMM Super High Flow Intake Bridge [200-106] - $459.00 : All Season Diesel Performance, Your Duramax diesel performance headquarters by Tony Burkhard owner of the Dirty Hooker

http://www.bankspower.com/products/show/?option_id=259%7C2%7CDiesel%20Trucks%2C%20%0A06-07%20Chevy/GMC%20-%206.6L%20Duramax%20LLY-LBZ%7C9

Talk to Romeo fabrication. You won't be disappointed is all I can say. You can check him out on Facebook. Or pm me for his number. Tell him I told you to call. The intake is crazy but its not cheap and you can also combine your w2a.

Dave , I don't think Joe can come close to banks price it's less then 2000. My a/w is behind the weight box

Seems to me like the banks would be more of a improvement to the factory intake manifolds, since it looks like to me it replaces them. Where as the DHD does improve flow (a lot over stock) to the factory intake manifold, it does not improve the flow of the intake manifold itself. I know there is smarter people on here that could give u a more knowledgeable answer though.

Last edited:
I am running something similar to the dhd y bridge. Its 4" pipe from the charger tthrough the a/w into the y bridge. Worked really well last year with a 88mm single. I think there are some gains to be had in reworking the clam shells and the entry into them. The runner setups look great but I'm not entirely sure they make for a huge gain vs money spent. The banks is probably the cheapest option if you go the runner route imo.

Stock intake and y bridge I don't think can flow enough for the direction 2.6 is going. No matter what intake I get it'll need port matched. Empire heads have re worked ports ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362921028.949361.jpg

Dave , I don't think Joe can come close to banks price it's less then 2000. My a/w is behind the weight box

Your right it will cost more then that but there are a few advantages and it can be upgraded to w2a in the future. This isn't something he fabricated it's made out of a block of billet. I'm not exactly at liberty to say much more but at least look into it and then make a decision.

Looking at that picture I would shy away from the banks unless you plan on machining the runner devider out to match that port arrangement. You might be further ahead making something yourself. I'm of the opinion keep it simple. I feel the whole intake on forced induction engines has been way over thought. I really think as long as you have a relatively clean entry free of sharp bends the gains will be in line with the best runner designs.

I have a big hoss I am going to sell it is set up with a water to air cooler.. if that is rout you are going to take ..I can send you pic of the set up if you would like ..

a little food for thought, lb7 intake runners flow the most. also, going from the factory lb7 y bridge to a 3" i dropped about 7-8 psi peak boost and just over 200 degrees egt. never could get it over 1600. this was on factoy heads, nothing done to them. changed nothing but that y bridge. i took my runners and hogged out the material where studs were installed at on the outside and made it flush with the rest of the runner. rounded the edges out too. had nothing into it but my time and an aluminum elbow. if money is a little on the tight side, run the factory stuff and spend it on something else

how do you figure that lb7 runners flow better than lbz/lmm runners? i am just curious to know how you came to this conclusion.

This is right along the same lines as the intake manifold design thread that was going on last week. The runner design probably is not worth a ton of power, the inlet the manifold probably is.

Back