Duramax man buying a ford

2wd_sled_puller

K&P Diesel House
Im about to be going to pic up a f350 with the 7.3 its a 97 it has 220,000 miles 5 speed 4x4 what problems can i expect to have with it. 100 % stock

Also what is a good programmer or box to buy for this truck. It needs a little extra help

Most of the problems Ive had/heard about dealt with the auto tranny. The first thing Id do is get rid of the stock down pipe. It sandwiches down to get between the firewall and tranny and really restricts the exhaust flow. Im sellin my 97 cclb, if you are interested PM me for the details

and just go to the local parts store (i found the cheapest place was the local peterbilt store) and get the 6637 air filter (there are a bunch of different brands of the same filter and get a 45* 4" exhaust pipe elbow and make an intake.. it helped mine out, and im putting an exhaust on it this week.

main major issues are the turbo oil o-rings and the IDM gets water in it and shorts out because it sits in drivers side inside fender

water pump, CPS, wiring harness. Not soo much tranny. I would do tuner, HPOP, then injectors. The DP and FILTER is just chump stuff unless your bored...

Not soo much tranny.

Yeah these tranns are basically indestructible just rebuilt a ZF in a 7.3 non turbo it had 500,000 on it at least and there was absolutely nothing wrong with it except the bearing retainer was chewed up because the throwout bearing went out. . . and the input shaft was scored where the pilot bearing runs. . .

Yeah these tranns are basically indestructible just rebuilt a ZF in a 7.3 non turbo it had 500,000 on it at least and there was absolutely nothing wrong with it except the bearing retainer was chewed up because the throwout bearing went out. . . and the input shaft was scored where the pilot bearing runs. . .

Got a '97 F-superduty 7.3l 5spd, and we cant keep second gear Syncros take a crap in the ZF 5spds.. Had this one rebuilt twice and its the second tranny since we bought the truck

Main problems is the CPS, Stock auto tranny if u add a chip... other's i have heard of are that the alternator is bad and the IPR...

HillBilly is right about the downpipe, it goes from 3" and sandwiches to a 1" flat downpipe, it is hard to put the 3" DP in, but DEFINITELY worth it! And the intake obviously, and I have the 6 pos TS chip w/custom tunes and love it... and swamps injectors have worked good...

BTW dont get a California 97, to much extra BS that you DONT want

Got a '97 F-superduty 7.3l 5spd, and we cant keep second gear Syncros take a crap in the ZF 5spds.. Had this one rebuilt twice and its the second tranny since we bought the truck

There gotta be something eles wrong with it as well. . . and not only that unless you are pulling you shouldn't ever use 1st gear to have to shift into 2nd shoot with mine on flat i can use 3rd. . .

There gotta be something eles wrong with it as well. . . and not only that unless you are pulling you shouldn't ever use 1st gear to have to shift into 2nd shoot with mine on flat i can use 3rd. . .

All its used for is pulling a 32' GN trailer and hauling either a JD440 Log Skidder (16K lbs). JD550 Dozer (18K lbs) or our Link Belt 1600 Excavator (19K lbs).. so second gets a work out

thanks guys i gotta do the down pipe but so far i put a new valiar clucth in it the one rated for 600 ponys. i dont the fpr mod and thats about it. i had problems when i first bought the truck it didnt seem like it had the get up and go it should so i change all the fluids and filters and put some marble mistery oil in and and it worked like a charm. The truck has seen a trailer just about 5 days out of the week grossing around 15 - 20k and it needs a little help pulling it so looking into down pipe and custom burnt chip now

All its used for is pulling a 32' GN trailer and hauling either a JD440 Log Skidder (16K lbs). JD550 Dozer (18K lbs) or our Link Belt 1600 Excavator (19K lbs).. so second gets a work out

Heck yeah that's a pile of weight to be pulling all the time so second would most definitely get one heck of a workout

Back