E-BOV BD Turbo Guard or Turbo Smart?

06RAMCTD

I've been looking at these systems to protect my turbo at the end of a run. Does anyone have any experience with either one? I did find 1 thread about the turbo smart, but nothing on the BD system. Thanks!

i ran one for a while and it took care of the barking for sure. the only problem and the reason i pulled it off was because if you have to lift just a little to get out of a hop or something sometimes it would blow off and your done. it is adjustable but i didnt want to have to adjust it before every pull. my turbo doesnt bark half as bad as the sb 66 did that i was running though

the BD one is a total waste of money. just a 50mm directly from tial they're only a little over 200...

me? no... i was going to run a tial for a while but the "extra" funds for something so superficial never really came up...always had something more important for the truck to buy. plus at this point i would almost welcome a turbo failure so ill have no excuse not to upgrade.

however i did do gratuitous amounts of research on how to install one without all that expensive electronic bullcrap on an engine which produces no vacuum.

Can I get the readers digest version of all your research, or at least point me in the right direction? LOL

there's some really good threads on DD about it but its not that complicated, i can give you the rundown.

basically, BOV's run off a vacuum signal... when the throttle body slams shut the vacuum in the manifold connected to the BOV with a line becomes very strong and overcomes a spring in the valve allowing it to let out boost pressure.

well there's no vacuum on a diesel so one would assume without any fancy electronics to replicate it and tell it when the throttle has been chopped we'd be screwed. however there is another way! Basically what you do is open op the BOV and remove the spring completely (most springs are removable for adjustment with different size/strength springs). At this point there is nothing holding the valve shut it would just be a massive boost leak if you ran the car. So at this point instead of running the signal line to the manifold to get a vac reading plumb in a drive pressure line! basically using the engine exhaust to hold it shut. Then when you drop the throttle DP drops off almost instantly and the boost still in the piping overcomes the valve and pushes it open instead of it being pulled open by vacuum from the other end.

sorry for the novel..lol

Last edited:
I have a BD unit on my truck.... Back when I was running an hx-40/3B twin set I purchased it so I wouldn't blow up the shaft on the 40.... It works just as advertised. I believe it to have saved my charger on more then a few occasions, mainly when Nitrous was sprayed. It is definatly different to hear a diesel blow-off at 80 PSI.

It is a tial unit, however there is much more to it then that... there is also a little computer and also a actuator. a bunch of vacuum hoses and a bit of wiring. I hate when I read it is an overpriced tial, just straight un-education. Pricey? yes... Work? everytime....

truth be told, on my new set of twins S300/S400, I really don't need it. Im going to be making new piping for my truck because of a new intercooler. If your looking for one to test, let me know...

the system described above also works every time as was said by those who pioneered/used it.

im not really sure whats uneducated? as i just explained how a BOV works and i can tell you that although the BD works well its over priced and over complicated

the BD one is a total waste of money. just a 50mm directly from tial they're only a little over 200...

A Tial for ~$200 will get you absolutely nothing for your dollars spent..... I feel to compare the two, on an open forum, is simply not sound advice.

Buying a complete tried and true working system(much more then your basic 50mm tial blow off) that installs in a few hours, with a warranty, and technical support, for some holds value.

the system described above also works every time as was said by those who pioneered/used it.

im not really sure whats uneducated? as i just explained how a BOV works and i can tell you that although the BD works well its over priced and over complicated

hope my explanation helps....:Cheer:

a 50mm Tial is a 50mm Tial... all your paying for is the electronics and actuator... plus the words "BD" and "Diesel" on the box.

BOV's aren't complicated pieces of equipment... the concept and applications are simple. BD just over thought a solution that could of been solved much more cheaply and easily.

JMHO:Cheer:

A Tial for ~$200 will get you absolutely nothing for your dollars spent..... I feel to compare the two, on an open forum, is simply not sound advice.

Buying a complete tried and true working system(much more then your basic 50mm tial blow off) that installs in a few hours, with a warranty, and technical support, for some holds value.

hope my explanation helps....:Cheer:

Some of us get a bigger bang out of how much hard earned $ we can save and how simple something can be accomplished, others get a bang out of watching their $$$$$$ grow wings and fly away...different strokes for different folks.

a 50mm Tial is a 50mm Tial... all your paying for is the electronics and actuator... plus the words "BD" and "Diesel" on the box.

BOV's aren't complicated pieces of equipment... the concept and applications are simple. BD just over thought a solution that could of been solved much more cheaply and easily.

Well said!

Last edited:
exactly, plus most people here who have the kind of turbo setup that they would want a BOV probably already have a drive pressure gauge setup...then all you need to do tee it and run a line to the BOV. much simpler then the wiring involved in the BD

Ive been looking into this for a couple months. Would the drive pressure set up described help with barking between shifts?

Sent from my DROIDX

on a manual truck? yes. should completely cure that.

however it may take an extra second to build that boost back up in the next gear...

I do understand that... However, it is nice to be able to determine when the blow off is actually actuated, basing it off of drive pressure nets you having to re-light the charger all over again at every throttle modulation (auto/stick). I had mine set for extreme throttle chop environments. To me a touch of added value...

Lreiff, Point taken... Would you agree that buying $200 blow off is the same as buying a blow off system that utilizes a $200 blowoff??? If so, I have a set of twins for sale....:hehe:

Last edited:
Back