EFI Live mileage

Abbert55

Hey everybody, I've been playing with my EFI V2 for a few months now. I have an 06 LBZ GMC K3500 dually that can't seem to get better than 20 mpg. I have a K&N filter, straight thru 4" duals, and EGR disabled. I could really use a few pointers for tuning to better my mileage. I know other tuners are seeing 25mpg +/-. I'm new to this electronic way of tuning, but not to diesels. In the old days, diesels were only 235HP and you changed the fuel pump button till you could see about 6" of orange flame from the stack at nite. Then you knew it was getting enough fuel! I'm dating myself here, but any help would be really appreciated. I'm familiar with the tables in EFI Live and how to manipulate them, so PLS don't tell me I need to learn to tune first... that's how you learn... ask questions!

Thanks,

Abbert55

I'm not trying for 25mpg, just like to know what to do to tune for the best mpg. Thanx.

20mpg with a dually is pretty damn respectable. One thing you have to remember about fuel mileage is that about half of the people who pay close attention to it are strokers and embellish results.

I don't, here is my proof: http://www.fuelly.com/driver/rustin/f250-super-duty.

Abbert I have two questions for you. What is your rear gearing set at, and do you have a manual transmission or an automatic?

3. where are you located? someone that live on prodomantly flat ground will get better mpg than someone that lives in rolling hills..

i have couple friend that will pull 21-22 at ~70 in a dually but they are flat landers lol.. 20mpg is rather respectable for an unloaded dually for any brand

as for tuning.. i running ~1* of timing per 100uS of pulse width in part throttle cruising area on my tow rig.. i find that any more then that tends to rattle too much for my liking with little to no improvement in mpg hp or throttle repsonse

Last edited:
First of all, thanks for all the replies! I have been out of state for the past few weeks and no internet service. My truck has 3:73 rear gears, standard 215/85-R16 tires and the 6 spd Allison. The trans ratios are as follows. 4th gear 1:1 5th gear .71:1 and 6th is .61:1. I live in flat country N. IN where they say you can see for 10 miles in any direction. If you stand on a matchbook... you can see for 100 miles!! LOL. Not any major hills to speak of.

Back