Efi live newb question

chevota84

A buddy of mine just started tuning with efi and I started thinking about some stuff. Could you build a clean towing tune from 0-80% tps and an all out tune from 80-100%?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

U could but it would depend on truck modifications nd during habitat. 20% of throttle isn't much to bring things on smoothly. Power would more than likely come on too sudden and be like flipping a switch. Dangerous and hard on parts. Plus if u were towing a Hill and got into the 80% throttle range it probably wouldn't turnout good. My 2 cents

Spray & Pray

i have a max effort tune just finished last night by kory willis that barely smokes unless your wot and its roughly 180 plus hp

Why? Is that how you would tune a mechanically fueled engine?

No, but efi has alot more changeable parameters than a mechanical engine. It was mostly just a "what if" question.

U could but it would depend on truck modifications nd during habitat. 20% of throttle isn't much to bring things on smoothly. Power would more than likely come on too sudden and be like flipping a switch. Dangerous and hard on parts. Plus if u were towing a Hill and got into the 80% throttle range it probably wouldn't turnout good. My 2 cents

Spray & Pray

THIS^

it can be done easily. if you really wanna try just figure out what main rate fuel you don't wanna go over for the tow tune and set everything below it stock and everything over max effort. then blend.

if you build a tune right, you should be able to tow fine and fairly clean on a decently powerful tune

how about making a all out 100%tps tune...lol thats what efi is for

It makes me want to buy a commonrail just to try this stuff lol. Id probably have it melted down in a week.

no lol, just seemed like you were saying -why bother with less power below 80%- lol. or at least thats what i seemed like to me

No im saying build a good tune from 0-100% no-less smoke.. it can be done.

No, but efi has alot more changeable parameters than a mechanical engine. It was mostly just a "what if" question.

Say you're hauling a big load and you come to a big hill and the 250 fuel sipping hp that you're making at 80% throttle isn't enough...so you slam the pedal against the wood to get on up the hill and then the 5000 hp that you have tuned into 100% throttle hits like a ton of bricks...imagine that!!! LOL

Last edited:
Say you're hauling a big load and you come to a big hill and the 250 fuel sipping hp that you're making at 80% throttle isn't enough...so you slam the pedal against the wood to get on up the hill and then the 5000 hp that you have tuned into 100% throttle hits like a ton of bricks...imagine that!!! LOL

If it makes you feel cool to be a d!ck on the internet go right ahead. My thinking was that you could build a tune that would run cool egt's with your setup, whatever that may be and have an all out tune where egt's aren't a concern all in one.

If it makes you feel cool to be a d!ck on the internet go right ahead. My thinking was that you could build a tune that would run cool egt's with your setup, whatever that may be and have an all out tune where egt's aren't a concern all in one.

Sorry it sounded like that! The key board did not convey the amusement this thread brought me. This guy > LOL tried but apparently failed.

As others have stated, for a daily driven tune alot of power can be made without smoke and high egts. It only takes approx. 5 minutes to flash the ecm with another tune for racing, pulling etc.

plus, I'd imagine that at some point there's a pretty good chance of EFIlive coming out with a selectable tuning. That'll make it even easier to do what you're saying

Sorry it sounded like that! The key board did not convey the amusement this thread brought me. This guy > LOL tried but apparently failed.

As others have stated, for a daily driven tune alot of power can be made without smoke and high egts. It only takes approx. 5 minutes to flash the ecm with another tune for racing, pulling etc.

Gotcha, dodge electrical issue = me driving a honda = bad mood lol.

plus, I'd imagine that at some point there's a pretty good chance of EFIlive coming out with a selectable tuning. That'll make it even easier to do what you're saying

I know they have that for the Duramax, how does that work? I mean you have to flash each tune in right now for the changes in the Cummins and that takes five minutes, how do they make it just switch over to another tune with just the turn of a selector switch without the wait of the flashing process?

I know they have that for the Duramax, how does that work?

Duramax ecms have the ability to be upgraded to a switchable operating system. A switchable operating system allows multiple fuel control table to be programed which are chosen base on voltage input from a switch (DSP2/DSP5) to a pin on the ecm.

Back