EFILive Beta First Impressions

It would be nice to know exactly what would be needed to change over to an 06 ECM. All I read was that there would be a communication issue of some sort involving the dash? It sucks not knowing when or if the 03-05 support will happen.

But regardless of that fact I have a mental hard on right now!

If your '05 has a G56 transmission you most likely have a canbus ecm.

What about an 06 ECM in a conversion truck?
Can't see a dash issue there ?

I know EFI live has heard this question before and I am sure they are sick of it, but I must ask as this determines what year truck I am going to purchase. Please be patient with me, as to the best of your knowledge is the 6.7 OS going to be ready in say 6-12 months? Thank you, Jay

I might just wait and let all the 06+ guys figure out the tuning and when it comes out for 305s most of the hard work will be done already. LOL

Well Bodie, I am looking at either 06 or 08 figure I will take advantage of the larger displacement if I can without putting together a 6.7 bottom end for an 06 truck.

As I read this very informative thread I see many non-supporting vendors calling out others for starting this informative thread.
As being a supporting vendor I see many things in signatures that would not fly on many other sites.
So with that being said For who to support and not to support I would not be afraid to let either Nick, Rob, or Bob experiment with new tuning software or once it becomes available tune on a CR truck for our customers.
I have customers that Run all three of these guys tuning and do a great job of putting the final touches on what we build. Theirs a few others in here that are claiming they are also tuners but I would not let them touch my wife's riding lawn mower.

Whos write whos wrong I guess we can leave that to the admins, but once again as us being a supporting vendor I have no issues with Nick, Rob, or Bob posting there finds of this great new product/software that is long past due.

3200RPM and 135mm³ yields 44.1°, is this what the beta files are showing consistently? What is the peak timing advance after a simple smoothing of the cells?

3200RPM and 135mm³ yields 44.1°, is this what the beta files are showing consistently? What is the peak timing advance after a simple smoothing of the cells?

135mm, that's the actual injected quantity for a stock injector that would be excepted right? So what if your injectors can flow more then that? is that calculation done off to the side (stock + 123mm) or can you tell the software to do the correct off set and math and show you 258mm instead?

( I haven't downloaded the software yet.. :) sorry for a dumb question)

Last edited:
135mm, that's the actual injected quantity for a stock injector that would be excepted right? So what if your injectors can flow more then that? is that calculation done off to the side (stock + 123mm) or can you tell the software to do the correct off set and math and show you 258mm instead?

Another dumb question here but what software can be downloaded and where do we go to download it?

As I read this very informative thread I see many non-supporting vendors calling out others for starting this informative thread.
As being a supporting vendor I see many things in signatures that would not fly on many other sites.
So with that being said For who to support and not to support I would not be afraid to let either Nick, Rob, or Bob experiment with new tuning software or once it becomes available tune on a CR truck for our customers.
I have customers that Run all three of these guys tuning and do a great job of putting the final touches on what we build. Theirs a few others in here that are claiming they are also tuners but I would not let them touch my wife's riding lawn mower.

Whos write whos wrong I guess we can leave that to the admins, but once again as us being a supporting vendor I have no issues with Nick, Rob, or Bob posting there finds of this great new product/software that is long past due.

Now this post confuses me...

The Cummins software isn't available to the public yet. The GM software is and can be downloaded free.

As for the timing and such, we know there are limiters and such, but don't have them all yet.

We have pilot tables, but not data logging for those tables so kind of working blind right now. This is the beta process, find tables, test, find more tables, test, etc. Then start seeing which tables are really doing something and which are not.

The pictures posted at the beginning and just tables that had the limits removed. I don't think anyone believes that a truck would not be dangerous with that kind of fueling at 25% throttle? With a couple clicks a monkey can smooth existing tables to look impressive.

Again, still in the beginning stages but EFI is helping us progress very fast.

Last edited:
I know EFI live has heard this question before and I am sure they are sick of it, but I must ask as this determines what year truck I am going to purchase. Please be patient with me, as to the best of your knowledge is the 6.7 OS going to be ready in say 6-12 months? Thank you, Jay

That's the plan.

Cheers
Cindy

Amazing how when you take a crappy, spiked out map and then fool the ECM with a box or sorts - just how undrivable you can make a truck.

I am sure excited for the day I can dump my TST/EZ and simple use one simple device and yet have more power and less smoke, touchy throttle.

Good morning :),

Over the past few months as many of you know, the programmers at EFIlive have been developing a software package that caters to the Cummins enthusiast. As a member of the Beta team I've had the opportunity to test that software first hand and I'd like to share my initial thoughts with you.

The truck I've been testing on is a Regular Cab/ Short bed truck with a custom built 4-Link and an DTT Full billet trans that has been supplied to me for the purpose of this test by Randall's Performance out of Gladstone Il. Big thanks to those guys! The engine is totally stock, stock injector, stock turbo, stock stock. (For now :))

I've been running the truck on stock condition and with a box style tuner previous to the Beta release so that I could familiarize myself with the characteristics of these tunes and get an idea of areas I'd like to improve.

As of today, this software release is only available to a small group until we further validate it. However, after using the edit version of the software on my test truck for only a few hours I can tell you as a group that you have a lot to look forward to. In just a couple of hours I was able to tune a truck that was previously prone to rattle, smoke, and aggressively accelerate with very little throttle effort into a mild mannered, smooth driver that quickly and cleanly comes up on the power band with no extra drama or engine noise than stock. Here are a few screens hots so you can visualize the difference between what you've been using and what you will be using.

The first image is a box style timing map. It's shape and rough inconsistencies are very similar to the stock map.
Rough_Timing_Table.jpg

This image is a timing table that I built for the truck using EFILive. Notice how smooth the transitions are. This translates into smoother driving experience and less drama during throttle transitions.
SmoothedTimingTable-1.jpg

The next table is a box tuner style fuel pressure map. It's plainly obvious why these trucks rattle so hard with these boxes on them. Look how abruptly the fuel pressure command spikes!
Rough_FuelPressure_Table.jpg

Now, here's a fuel pressure map that I've put together using EFIlive. Again, notice the progressive shape without any rough edges. The smoother the engine comes up on pressure, the nicer it is to fuel system parts.
SmoothFuelPressureCurve.jpg

Finally, this picture is of a box tuner style throttle curve. This curve determines how much fuel is injected based on pedal position. Notice how abruptly the engine commands full fuel (table 1) vs. my progressive table (table 2).
AbruptThrottleTransition.jpg

SmoothThrottleTransition.jpg

The examples I've posted here are really just scratching the surface. Trucks with bigger turbos and injectors will benefit dramatically from the drivability improvements possible with this software. The days of Rattle, smoke, and heat will be replaced with cleaner power that's nicer on the truck and the driver. Best of all, you won't need to stack anything. One tuner.

Take care,

Nick Priegnitz

Great post, and for that matter the first to the punch. Its of no surprise how choppy the boxed tunes are. What a great step to real tuning.

Just a quick question on the TPS table, looks to me thats a limitation table. after you modified it the only way to command full fuel is at 100% throttle? Not real handy with an automatic.

Running a stand alone, I was all grins the first time I matted the throttle and no more than enough fuel to spool the chargers along with a nice shift down.

Keep the updates coming!

Holy hell guys! We've been waiting for years, a couple more months for the 6.7 and SCI guys ain't gonna hurt anybody.:bang

Although, I am damn happy one of my trucks will be ready to rock and roll with the first release:lolly:

Great post, and for that matter the first to the punch. Its of no surprise how choppy the boxed tunes are. What a great step to real tuning.

Just a quick question on the TPS table, looks to me thats a limitation table. after you modified it the only way to command full fuel is at 100% throttle? Not real handy with an automatic.

Running a stand alone, I was all grins the first time I matted the throttle and no more than enough fuel to spool the chargers along with a nice shift down.

Keep the updates coming!

The TPS table posted (assuming we verify that's exactly what it is) is the beginning command for the fuel rate. The fuel rate still has to make it's way through a few limiting tables with regard to airflow and torque allowances. It may be handy to command full fuel without commanding a downshift by full fueling at 70%TPS, it may not. It obviously has a lot to do with the turbocharger configuration and probably your driveline's capacity to hold that torque load. Keep in mind we'll likely have control over the 48re as well, so you can light that candle at both ends.

Regardless, the control will now be in the tuner's hands. So, be sure to pick one that hates all the others....

images

I got a good laugh on that one Rob.. ;)

Nick

Last edited:
He looks a quite a bit older than you Nick, kind of looks more like ME! Damn, my kids must of left the web cam on.

Last edited:
Back