EFILive FAQ's

EFI Support

Comp Diesel Sponsor
I'm going to keep updating this thread as we go, and hope that this post can be used to answer some of the common (and repeated) questions that are being asked.

What is EFILive?

EFILive is a PC based Scanning and Tuning Tool for diagnosing and tuning late model electronic fuel injected vehicles.

EFILive is not a handheld tuner with pre-programmed tunes for you to install in your vehicle, it's a tool that allows you to make those tunes yourself.

Planned Vehicle Support
  1. 06-07 5.9L CAN based vehicles - expected public release March 2011
  2. 07-09 6.7L CAN based vehicles (ECM and TCM support) - development will commence after 06-07 public release
  3. 09-11 6.7L CAN based vehicles - development may or may not be concurrent to 07-09 vehicles.
  4. 03-05 5.9L SCI based vehicles - will commence development after all CAN support is finalised.
  5. Pre 2003 trucks will not be considered at this point of time
Time frames for support are dependent on the beta progress of the preceding controller.

Products

Black FlashScan V2 - is capable of supporting CAN based Cummins vehicles (2006+) when the Cummins Tuning license is purchased, AND appropriate support is developed/released.
Blue FlashScan V2 - is capable of supporting SCI and CAN based Cummins vehicles (2003+) when Cummins Tuning license is purchased, AND appropriate support is developed/released.

Pricing

FlashScan V2 Scan Tool $399
Cummins Tuning License $399
GM Tuning License $399

To tune a supported Cummins vehicle , you will need FlashScan V2 and a Cummins Tuning license (Total Price $798). The purchase of a Tuning License also includes 2 VIN licenses to allow you to tune 2 supported vehicles.

If you want to tune both Cummins and GM based vehicles, you will need BOTH Tuning licenses (Total Price $1197). The purchase of 2 Tuning licenses include 4 VIN licenses to allow you to tune 4 supported vehicles.

For existing FlashScan V2 customers, once released, you will need to purchase the Cummins Tuning License.

An upgrade path will not be offered for those customers who currently have a Black FlashScan V2 and want a Blue FlashScan V2.

Additional VIN licenses can be purchased for $99.

Purchases of EFILive products should be made through an authorized reseller/dealer.

Switchable Tuning

At some point of time we believe it will be possible to develop switchable tuning for Cummins vehicles. Development will not commence until our planned vehicle support list is complete.

Cheers
Cindy

Ill just go ahead and subscribe to this thread. Im very impressed with the information you give and I look forward to having EFIlive support. You guys are doing a great job!

If I have a Blue V2, and I have downloaded Version 8 with the most recent build, am I able to read ECM Calabration data on my '07 Cummins??

Or is Cal reading also included in the public tuning release only??

Or more importantly, with V8 and most recent build, what can I do/see on my Cummins??

If I have a Blue V2, and I have downloaded Version 8 with the most recent build, am I able to read ECM Calabration data on my '07 Cummins??

Or is Cal reading also included in the public tuning release only??

Or more importantly, with V8 and most recent build, what can I do/see on my Cummins??

With the latest pre-release (Feb 02) you can read/save 06-07 5.9L files. You can't view them or edit them, but I have just posted a thread requesting people with FlashScan read them and send us the files.

We have mapped around 10 operating systems so far, but we anticipate that there will be a number of OS's we haven't yet come across. To offer the best coverage for our public release, we are trying to get our hands on as many 5.9L 06-07 reads as possible.

Cheers
Cindy

With the latest pre-release (Feb 02) you can read/save 06-07 5.9L files. You can't view them or edit them, but I have just posted a thread requesting people with FlashScan read them and send us the files.

We have mapped around 10 operating systems so far, but we anticipate that there will be a number of OS's we haven't yet come across. To offer the best coverage for our public release, we are trying to get our hands on as many 5.9L 06-07 reads as possible.

Cheers
Cindy

So I can read PCM Calibration and save the file, but am unable to look at the maps in the V7.5 software??

What controller do I select in the drop down menu on the read PCM Cal window??

I'll be reading my PCM Cal tomorrow afternoon...what email address do I send it to??

Switchable Tuning
At some point of time we believe it will be possible to develop switchable tuning for Cummins vehicles. Development will not commence until our planned vehicle support list is complete.

So, for example, when it is released and I go up to danville Indiana to get my truck tuned, I wont have a "knob" or anything to switch tunes for the time being? Will I have to just choose "1" tune and be forced to keep it on that tune until the switchable tune is available? or am I misunderstanding this?

Switchable Tuning

So, for example, when it is released and I go up to danville Indiana to get my truck tuned, I wont have a "knob" or anything to switch tunes for the time being? Will I have to just choose "1" tune and be forced to keep it on that tune until the switchable tune is available? or am I misunderstanding this?

Correct...until a CSP switch program is developed, youll only be able to use a single tune.

As far as i understand....

Switchable Tuning

That is correct. When we develop switchable tuning the ECM will need to flashed again to support multiple tunes and a switching mechanism will need to be installed. NOTE: My term switching mechanism. We don't know if it will be a physical switch/knob or if we can switch via FlashScan. That will need to wait until development commences.

There is another option if you are having your tuner flash a tune into your truck and you're not getting FlashScan for yourself. You could purchase multiple tunes on an AutoCal device. Think of it as purchasing a handheld tuner, but more personalised. You and your tuner determine what type of tunes you need and they create them for you, and send you a device (which you will keep) with those tunes on them.

It's not switchable tuning (ie you can't switch on the fly) however you can reflash your truck with different tunes. AutoCal will never allow you to self tune your truck, only the tuner can do that, but you can data log, and read/clear codes, and your tuner can change your tunes remotely.

Cheers
Cindy

How much extra will it cost to buy those extra tunes? say I wanted 2 tunes.
(1) tow tune
(2) max hp tune

You say the tuner will only be able to change the tunes. so if one day I wanted to use the tow tune and then the next day I want to go to the track and run the max hp tune, will I have to call up danville to change it for me?

How much extra will it cost to buy those extra tunes? say I wanted 2 tunes.
(1) tow tune
(2) max hp tune

You say the tuner will only be able to change the tunes. so if one day I wanted to use the tow tune and then the next day I want to go to the track and run the max hp tune, will I have to call up danville to change it for me?

In this situation you would bring your own labtop and purchase the V2 Flashscan & Tune tool from us and then we will tune it for your needs. From a single tune to multiple tunes just depends on what the customer needs or wants. You will get a discount on the tuning price for buying the V2 from us. I don't have any pricing on it yet but once it is available I will get that part figured out. Then you would have the tunes and I would also have a copy of them and if you need something adjusted we can send them back and worth via email and you don't have to drive all the way back up to the shop for simple changes. Hope this helps.

i am interested in the scanning software and all of its details. not trying to change the subject to much. but is it good for diag?

Cindy,

Sent you a email with 4 ECM reads about 20min ago.

Hope it helps...very easy to navigate!!

Thanks

Les

In this situation you would bring your own labtop and purchase the V2 Flashscan & Tune tool from us and then we will tune it for your needs. From a single tune to multiple tunes just depends on what the customer needs or wants. You will get a discount on the tuning price for buying the V2 from us. I don't have any pricing on it yet but once it is available I will get that part figured out. Then you would have the tunes and I would also have a copy of them and if you need something adjusted we can send them back and worth via email and you don't have to drive all the way back up to the shop for simple changes. Hope this helps.

Thanks Mark for the response. BTW, Id love to lend a truck for you guys to test and tune if you need one! Hopefully ill be your first cummins customer!

Dumb question, but say your tuner didnt live close to you, would that tuner email you the tune, to load on to the scan tool, to put on your truck or do you have to put a tune together from an accesible laptop?

Last edited:
Email KennyG. I guess I don't know what you mean by the accessible laptop part, but they email you the tune, you throw it on the V2, and load 'er up

i am interested in the scanning software and all of its details. not trying to change the subject to much. but is it good for diag?
For GM our scan tool is comparable to the GM Tech II diagnostic tool, but for a fraction of the price.

For Cummins, our scan tool is still in development, so it can't yet be compared to the Cummins factory tool or other scan tools on the market.

Your question can only be answered when the scan tool hits our beta testers and we start to receive feedback. We have published a list of the logging parameters that will be available in our scan tool here EFILive 5.9L Beta Update - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

Cindy,

Sent you a email with 4 ECM reads about 20min ago.

Hope it helps...very easy to navigate!!

Thanks

Les

Thanks Les. Ross will check off the OS's you sent and make sure we have you covered for our first public release.

Dumb question, but say your tuner didnt live close to you, would that tuner email you the tune, to load on to the scan tool, to put on your truck or do you have to put a tune together from an accesible laptop?

Your tuner can email you tunes. Those tunes can be moved from the PC the email is received on to FlashScan and then flashed into the truck with or without PC connection.

Cheers
Cindy

Please disregard my initial response - the 15 mins to modify my post got me :(

For GM vehicles we offer pass through reading/flashing/logging, which is PC-FlashScan-Vehicle connection. We also offer standalone reading/flashing/logging where the PC connection isn't required.

This will be our offering for Cummins, however at this point of time we have only tested the Pass through reading/flashing. Our initial release will most likely only cover Pass through functionality with standalone functions to be added in a future release. The functionality is there, we just need to apply it to Cummins and test it; at this point of the project this isn't a high priority.

Cheers
Cindy

Back