EFILive FIRST Cummins Public Release

Just loaded a no pilot file in melissa's o6. I added about 5 degrees timing at idle and less than 30mm3 to get it to idle correctly. it runs fine as long as you go slowly up through the rpms, but if you blip the throttle it misses and puffs white smoke at first. Timing is going to be hard to get right if you are running a single event .

Yeah...that was the issue I was having with mine...so for me it was just easier and less time consuming to have a pilot shot until higher in the rpms.

~Les

Sweet! Thanks for the info man:Cheer:.

I wonder why a CR cant start smooth without pilot, but a good ole mechanical 12-valve can start cold in 20* weather and run fairly smooth after a few (10-15) seconds...hmm.. Then a CR with pilot starts a lot quicker and easier than a 12-valve cold. I dont mean to derail this thread, just thinking out loud (trying to get the stupid out of my head if you willLOL).

At any rate im hoping to get into a 06+ CR by the end of this summer or fall. Just trying to learn, thanks again :).

That's what CompD is about...helping guys out.

I am sure there is more to the timing settings needed to get it to run right with no pilot...

~Les

I am not sure that we are comparing apples to apples on timing between a common rail and a 12 valve. I am seeing some values at idle and under wide open throttle that if you tried to compare to a 12 valve or even a duramax would have them scattering parts everywhere.

I am not sure that we are comparing apples to apples on timing between a common rail and a 12 valve. I am seeing some values at idle and under wide open throttle that if you tried to compare to a 12 valve or even a duramax would have them scattering parts everywhere.

Thats true, I didnt think about that a second ago. What timing values are you seeing at idle with the CR's so far? Again, if you care to share.

What makes a CR Cummins able to handle higher timing vs. say a 12-valve, P-Pump 24-valve, or Duramax? I think one of you said you found that some "box" tuners commanded as high as 52* of timing under certain conditions, wow!

I ran the timing up into the 30 degree area to get it to run correctly at idle. even on the stock tune the pilot would be starting to fire well into the upper 30s if you add the main and pilot degrees together. on top end with a stock file I am seeing a lot of 30 degree cells and with a big tune from a box tuner I have seen as much as 52 degrees.

I ran the timing up into the 30 degree area to get it to run correctly at idle. even on the stock tune the pilot would be starting to fire well into the upper 30s if you add the main and pilot degrees together. on top end with a stock file I am seeing a lot of 30 degree cells and with a big tune from a box tuner I have seen as much as 52 degrees.

Wow that seems like a whole lotta timing for a stock file to me! Interesting though. Thanks for the info, appreciate it as always.

nothing at lower rpms, but under higher rpms and under load my trucks seem to have lower egts with more fuel.

For some reason I cannot get any readings with the scan tool. The pids will display but then it says it is paused and I get no readings. Any ideas?

a little late, but here is a vid of the truck without pilot injection.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-lXj1klYMU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-lXj1klYMU[/ame]

For some reason I cannot get any readings with the scan tool. The pids will display but then it says it is paused and I get no readings. Any ideas?

On the bottom of the page, you have a yellow and a red button...click on the yellow. It will begin monitoring...hit the red when your ready to record data.

~Les

On my truck I get a little kick in the SOP meter when pilot goes away, and I can keep the rail fuller. Fuller rail allows for more main duration command.

~Les

is it a significant amount? Will more power be available with less cp3?

is it a significant amount? Will more power be available with less cp3?

Significant is a judgement call...to me I feel it. So to me its significant.

Yes in theory, with less events you keep more fuel in the rail for the main event. So you should be able to extend the fueling abilities of a stock Cp3 more.

~Les

Guess you could buy a 12 valve.

In the Dmax world pilot works well to a point, it does it's job of keeping things quiet and smooth on the street, there are gains to be had, but think about what rpms you would like gains in drag racing and sled pulling. You can have the benefits of pilot as well as the results of removing it all done with proper tuning. I don't feel the common rail Cummins will be any different.

Big injectors... there are ways to work the pilot so your pilot pulse isn't hurting rail pressure or cylinder pressure, but still keeping the truck quiet, smooth, and efficient.

Last edited:
I know I've seen SAE data that shows a much lower peak combustion pressure with a pilot. So in theory you can push you head seal that much farther with a pilot shot, and for that matter multiple mains.

On the street a single event gets old quick! With a pilot and split main its crazy how quiet you can make it.

I am having a hard time with efi live, I try to download my stock tune and it won't work, it says it won't run with the current script version. I updated everything

Try uninstalling v8 and reinstalling V8 build 165, don't search for updates after install. Repeat, don't update after install. See if that works..

Try uninstalling v8 and reinstalling V8 build 165, don't search for updates after install. Repeat, don't update after install. See if that works..

Exactly. There is an issue with the update reverting back to an old scrip. Follow Iceman's advice. Shouldn't have anymore issues.

Back