EGR Delete question

For the block off plates. In pictures I can't tell what size they are, and I haven't looked at my EGR yet. Are they the same plates as chevy and 12v lift pump block off plates?

Also, for those who've done it, who's kit did you get for the egr valve delete and the cooler delete? These are all I can find:

stops intake manifold clogging

TDI EGR cooler delete

Not really liking the price for the valve delete.

Last edited:
No.
Install is very simple.
The investment is very cheap compared to what you pay in lost fuel economy or engine damage.

What I've found through the generosity of folks on here that like to talk to me on the weekend while they drink beer and listen to live music is that it is cheaper to just leave the EGR pipe and plug it. Take it off and weld a "puck" or disc into it and replace it. It looks stock....but can't operate. Seems that couldn't cost much if you know someone with a welder. Does that help?

What I've found through the generosity of folks on here that like to talk to me on the weekend while they drink beer and listen to live music is that it is cheaper to just leave the EGR pipe and plug it. Take it off and weld a "puck" or disc into it and replace it. It looks stock....but can't operate. Seems that couldn't cost much if you know someone with a welder. Does that help?

In this application it is better to remove the unnecessary parts. You wouldn't leave a coon ride down the road under the hood of your car unless it was peddling for fuel economy...:shake:

Yeah, I was thinking of going that route, but I was gonna look into just getting rid of everything. Clear up some room and some potential trouble spots.

That makes perfect sense too. It would look cleaner and the TDI is probably a different beast. I was just thinking that so if I went in for warranty it would stand out and say "look at me.....deny me!" :D

That makes perfect sense too. It would look cleaner and the TDI is probably a different beast. I was just thinking that so if I went in for warranty it would stand out and say "look at me.....deny me!" :D

Sheeeiittt, what warranty? LOL It's 13yo with 260k. Probably gonna need injectors/pump work soon, and turbo rebuild (which is ok as I wanted to go a little bigger anyways :D)

I figured you were way beyond that...just looking for the "economical" route for ya since you can probably block it off for free. :D

You don't need to buy a kit, cut off a couple of the flanges from the EGR gas hose/pipe and weld a puck over them, bolt back on. Cut the butterfly out of the valve, leave the rest. Remove heat exchanger and find the right size hose to bypass the coolant straight to the heater core.

The pucks used for 6.0 EGR deletes will work just fine, you will need two of them, a hacksaw and either a good hand file or a rotary file. Rough cut mill bastard half round works great. You use this to open up the area where the valve was.

Just a tid bit of suggestion, on the 6.0 it's best to leave the cooler in place and weld a plug in the pipe end (it's stainless steel). Reason being is there is a "bellow" above and below the egr flange and it will start to stress crack from vibrations in the exhaust and the upper side is all one piece from the drivers side manifold to the Y goin into the turbo and is about $300 just my .02 hope it helps :)

Last edited:
On these the cooler is tied in with hose and flexible metal pipe and is not part of the structural supports. Yank and chunk works just fine.

Those parts are valuable, the replacement tubes are big buck VW only parts and they do fail. I've also heard of the coolers being plugged bad enough that the shop replaced it, really big bucks. You should be able to eBay them or sell it on Fred's TDI page.

Spend some time over there, there are a few different ways to kill the EGR. The best I saw the guy took the valve assembly, ran a pipe plug into the bottom and ground the inside all the way out so it was round.

A single coolant line to bypass the EGR cooler and a block off plate for the exhaust manifold and you're in business.

Have I mentioned that I wish I could remove my EGR without setting codes?

Heck I've got a 304 stainless block off plate I'd trade you for your EGR stuff. The wife's car is getting close to 200k and I wouldn't mind spares...

I just had ZZ custom Fab water jet 20 of them for Steve Glover AKA " The TDI Guy" 817 915 4063 the hose is easy , chunk it , and have who ever does your tune turn off you EGR . The gain in fuel Economy and performance is well worth it.

Those parts are valuable, the replacement tubes are big buck VW only parts and they do fail. I've also heard of the coolers being plugged bad enough that the shop replaced it, really big bucks. You should be able to eBay them or sell it on Fred's TDI page.

Spend some time over there, there are a few different ways to kill the EGR. The best I saw the guy took the valve assembly, ran a pipe plug into the bottom and ground the inside all the way out so it was round.

A single coolant line to bypass the EGR cooler and a block off plate for the exhaust manifold and you're in business.

Have I mentioned that I wish I could remove my EGR without setting codes?

What year? I have not a code on mine dealing with the EGR and it's been gone for almost 100k.

Back