EGR Delete (weld up pipe) Do i need to plug up the cooler?

Moremph

2Cruel/ 2L Motorsports
Doing an engine swap this weekend Ordered a block off plate (of course it didnt show) so i was going to weld the pipe up, what do i need to do with the cooler? can i knock a freeze plug in it or what?

not real familure with these six ohs yet

Thanks Travis

p.s. head studs are real easy to do when the engine is on the trailer!!

Most people close the cooler up as well. Just to prevent and potential problems in the future, such as a coolant leak coming from inside the EGR cooler. Cut off the "T" section from the up pipe, weld the up-pipe closed, then weld the "T" piece closed and install it back on the cooler.

Who did you order the Block off plate from? Mine never showed for my truck either.

I dont know what year his truck is, but the 05 trucks and newer (but then again I have a 05 550 up-pipe that doesn't have it) has a scoop inside the pipe to help direct egr into the cooler. So if you are going to weld it. Then go ahead and do this...

Doug_001.jpg

This way you wont have to take it back out to repair the flex pipe.

Weld a patch over the back of the cap that goes back on to the back of the egr cooler. If you don't cover the back of the cooler then you can run into a coolant leak like Unbroken did. His cooler was not capped off and started leaking out the back of the motor.

Umm i got a call from ups saying that i had package being delivered on monday and it needed a signature that is prolly my plate that i stressed needed to be from colorado to ky no later then friday when it was ordered

Travis

Hey Doug, My 05 did have the scoop thing inside to direct flow into the cooler, but when I went to the deaerlship to buy a new one to modify(weld-up) it did not have the scoop in it......

WOnder why some did and some did not?

250 and 350 05+ i have seen have all had the scoop. Except the 05 550 pipe i have. You can use an 03-04 that does not have the scoop. Its the same pipe but there was a change in 04 i think to a longer egr cooler which means a shorter extension off of the up pipe. Its easier to just buy the 04 pipe and weld that and then swap it in.

PSDPlayer said:
I dont know what year his truck is, but the 05 trucks and newer (but then again I have a 05 550 up-pipe that doesn't have it) has a scoop inside the pipe to help direct egr into the cooler. So if you are going to weld it. Then go ahead and do this...

This way you wont have to take it back out to repair the flex pipe.

Hey I blew a flex a while back, is this something thats common?

I was thinking about cutting my flex out and doing what you did. Whats the reason for the flex anyways? I understand why exhaust systems have flexs, but that is when the exhaust connects from the engine, and then the hanger rods of the exhaust then attach to the body. In the case of the up pipe I dont get it...all of the exhaust is attached to the engine?

for all of the concern that people have with the scoop on the 05+ trucks its as easy if not easier to fix then welding the port closed.

05 up pipe...now you see the scoop
Volant069.jpg

take the saw zaw with the contours of the ID of the pipe
Volant070.jpg

now the scoop is no more
Volant071.jpg

easy done. Make sure to take a dremel or some type of deburring devise to smooth the edges and make sure to take and clean it out with an air hose before installation
Volant072.jpg

I just bought a new tube and had it welded shut and when the dealer put new hg's and ARP studs I had them swap tubes. Hope I didn't have to do anything else.

BigD said:
Do u justweld a piece of stainless over the flex pipe?
I don't know if it was stainless or not, but I saw it in when they had the heads off this time. It was blocked off at the end of the tubed facing the front of the truck from the fire wall next to the 4" down pipe exhaust.

BigD said:
Do u justweld a piece of stainless over the flex pipe?
i meant psdplayer did u weld around the little gap of the flex pipe. i just cut out the scoop but if i need to weld a piece over the flex pipe to then i got to do it

The scoop was cut out and removed that patch over the front covers the cut out. The piece at the bottom was 2" stainless and the flex was cut off on both ends.

Back