EGT woes:/

Resolute_weldin

I've got an 02 4wd 3500 that I've been putting a little money into... It's got a built trans, new boots, 7x.009 SAC injectors and a 62/71/12 FMW. I changed the intake gaskets last night and drove it. It does fine in town (700ish on the EGTs) but out on the highway at 65-75 mph they stay pretty warm (around 1150). And when I put my foot in it I can get to 1400 pretty easily.... I'm making 32ish pounds in 2nd and start making 41 in 4th where I've got to let out because EGTs... I have a quadzilla on the truck. Turned up to 4/10. I had no boost issues or EGT problems with the HY35 as long as I kept the box turned down or off. Any ideas? I'll be redoing the turbo exhaust gasket and the turbo elbow o-ring this evening. I'm working in Granbury, TX right now if anyone local might be able to lend a hand.

You are absolutely sure that turbo has a 71mm turbine? 1400* is not that high but cruising egts are up there depending on how fast you are moving.

Does this truck have welding bed and weighs 11k? The hy35 is a fast spooling setup, better for low rpm performance.

Truck is has a generic non skirted flat bed. No machine or bottles. It does have 285/75/16s on it. @jlbayes I bought it brand new, but no. I'm not absolutely certain. As in I didn't measure the turbine wheel. Paperwork out of the box and receipt and company I purchased from all say 71 however. Could it be that my 7x.009 aren't providing enough fuel on the bottom end to spool it while driving. And the higher EGTs are at65 on up to about 75.

make sure that turbo elbow is seating correctly

I often had to do a little file work on the factory elbow to get it to seat on the drop-in S300 turbos back in the day

How would I know it was a little off? Feels like it seated well. Maybe I'm missing something. Picking up turbo exhaust gasket and o ring this afternoon.

it's easier to see with the compressor housing and elbow off of the truck and in your hand.

basically, the "inner OD" on the elbow was too large diameter to seat down into the compressor housing

The turbo have a tag with a part # on it? I would pressure test the cold side as suggested on the other forum.

Back