EGT's

chriswelters

Just a kid
What are the temps you dont want to hit on the egt? What is normal? When im crusing down the highway are 62 im running 7800deg and I hit 1600 degrees pretty easy when im at wot. I also want to know the boost max. I think i hit 34 one time only but other than that im at 28. Let me know what you guys think. I was acually told tonight i have a fuel problem, and that i am going to start to melt things. I blew off a house today that connects to my turbo. I cant remember what its called. Its the one with the blue boot. I was told to get the updated boot. Let me know. Thanks

What are the temps you dont want to hit on the egt? What is normal? When im crusing down the highway are 62 im running 7800deg and I hit 1600 degrees pretty easy when im at wot. I also want to know the boost max. I think i hit 34 one time only but other than that im at 28. Let me know what you guys think. I was acually told tonight i have a fuel problem, and that i am going to start to melt things. I blew off a house today that connects to my turbo. I cant remember what its called. Its the one with the blue boot. I was told to get the updated boot. Let me know. Thanks

Yeah I think 7800 egts is a little excessive.LOL:

I'm running DJ's Looney, Intake elbow, straight 4 inch exhaust with 3.5 downpipe, afe intake.

start with a bigger down pipe.

down the highway are 62 im running 7800deg <- I hope you ment 780

Yeah thats bad! Haha. Well I just orderd a 4 inch downpipe. Anything else I can do. I changed it to stock and was geting to 1000 1100

change your gears to 4.56's, ur motor and trans builds up alot of heat with those big tires.

Hmmmm 780 degrees is a bit hot for cruising speed on flat ground at 62. For comparison I am between 600-625 at 70mph cruising on flat ground with my Race tune. Now on a hard Full throttle sprint I can pin the guage (1600 degrees) fairly easily but it will usually come off pegged as my speed increases and air hits the intercooler/and the turbo spools up and evacuates the heat. On 1/4 mile runs it will hit 1600 and then back off slightly to around 1450-1500 or so through the traps. Have you talked to DJ? Maybe in the tuning if your turbo is making good boost.

Remember that heat saturation can be much more damaging than quick bursts at 1600 degrees +. For instance, I think most would agree that 2-3 minutes at 1300 degrees has the potential for melting pistons more than a few seconds at 1600+ degrees. The EGT probe is seeing 1600 degrees but the heat is not necessarily staying there long enough (a few seconds) to saturate the piston and melt it. Hope that helps.

can pin the guage (1600 degrees) fairly easily but it will usually come off pegged as my speed increases and air hits the intercooler/and the turbo spools up and evacuates the heat. On 1/4 mile runs it will hit 1600 and then back off slightly to around 1450-1500.
mine will hold it at 1600+ as long as i keep my foot on it!!!

Would i really need to go with 4.56 gears? What if i did something in the middle like 4.10 or 4.30s. I guess I'm not that informed with how much these different gears will affect things like gas millage. I'm sure if i went with 4.56 gears it would drop alot and my gas mileage would go down alot. I did look at DC's gear page and saw the rpms with the different gears to tires. On the other hand I don't want to be wrecking things, and I didnt get a superduty with 37 inch tires to get good gas mileage either. haha

What about spraying the intercooler with Co2 or nitrous wont this help with EGT's??? has anybody tried that????

I wouldnt go to 4.56 with 37's when I go up to 37's I am going to do 4.30's that seems to be what everyone recommends. I haven't priced them out yet but 4.56's would make it scream on the highway. I haven't raced my truck at all and havent let the EGT's get past 1400 runnin around. I am dont think we have flat ground in PA so i havent really noticed what I am at cruising on flat ground. I am running the Xtreme Street from Innovative.

Maybe somebody that has done a gear change will chime in, my opinion isnt from first hand experience.

start with a bigger down pipe.

down the highway are 62 im running 7800deg <- I hope you ment 780

I've been told that going from a 3.5" to a 4" down pipe isn't necessary. It isn't gonna cool it down that much to notice. Not to mention the 4" down pipe is a pain the a** to get in pass the fire wall and have it to where it's not rubbing on anything. Just my $.02

Back