Electric fuel conversion, this easy?

Nor'Easter

Hey guys, new to the whole Powerstroke thing. I usually spend my time over in the Cummins section.

Anyways, I've got a 96 OBS that I am looking to convert to electric fuel. I've got to replace the lines anyways so I figured why not, plus it's all taken apart already. LOL

Just wanted to make sure this setup will work. It's simply a SD pump feeding a dual filter that runs into the heads, then exits the opposite side of the heads, goes into the FPR, and then any leftover fuel runs back to the tank. I drew it all laid out to make it less confusing, ideally I'll have the FPR in the valley area.

ford.png

I would recommend running a filter pre pump and post pump, instead of 2 post pump, but from what i can see from the drawing everything else looks good. We use an oil pressure switch on our fuel system as a safe guard, so as soon as it sees oil pressure, the pump kicks on. No oil pressure (if you wreck or something), the pump shuts off.

I would recommend running a filter pre pump and post pump, instead of 2 post pump, but from what i can see from the drawing everything else looks good. We use an oil pressure switch on our fuel system as a safe guard, so as soon as it sees oil pressure, the pump kicks on. No oil pressure (if you wreck or something), the pump shuts off.

Makes sense to keep large trash out of the pump.

I assume the SD pump makes enough suction to pull fuel from the tank though a prefilter then push it through the finer filter.

Thanks for the input.

Last edited:
Makes sense to keep large trash out of the pump.

I assume the SD pump makes enough suction to pull fuel from the tank though a prefilter then push it through the finer filter.

Thanks for the input.

Yeah it should. We were using the walboro 392 pumps, but due to reliability issues have since gone with a better Bosch 044 pump.

For a stock truck think the 044 is worth it over the stock SD pump?

It's only around $20 more from what I see.

For a stock truck think the 044 is worth it over the stock SD pump?

It's only around $20 more from what I see.

Personally, yes. When you have customers broke down on the side of the road and trailer in tow with a failed walboro or SD pump, that extra $50 or so for the Bosch pump is a little easier to swallow :doh::lolly:

Personally, yes. When you have customers broke down on the side of the road and trailer in tow with a failed walboro or SD pump, that extra $50 or so for the Bosch pump is a little easier to swallow :doh::lolly:

Sounds good to me. :Cheer:

Thanks for your help Eric.

My stock super duty pump has took me all over the country for some years now.
You can not predict when a pump will fail. It could be on the freeway or in the driveway. Does the Bosch have an extra long life reputation? If so how long do they go on average.

My stock super duty pump has took me all over the country for some years now.
You can not predict when a pump will fail. It could be on the freeway or in the driveway. Does the Bosch have an extra long life reputation? If so how long do they go on average.

Compared to the walboro, it is leaps and bounds more dependable. I've had customers with failed walboro's right out of the box, some with 10k miles on them, hell even some still running them 5 years later. It's hit or miss, and with walboro not warrantying them, it gets expensive fast replacing walboro's on our dime, so often.
Granted, we use a lot of pumps, but from my experience, the Bosch's are a ton more reliable than the walboro, haven't had 1 bosch come back yet (knock on wood).

I've seen a handful of SD pumps go out also, but like you said it's impossible to tell when one is going out, until it goes out. If i had to rate the three in order of reliability, it would be walboro, SD pump, Bosch 044 (from least to greatest). Just from my experience though.

Back