Electrickery

Marsms

I have a wiring issue. I installed my Kool-Vue mirrors today. Everything went quite well, except that the passenger side Kool-Vue had a busted harness. I don't have another one, so I thought until I could get on, I'd simply tape the pins so that if the wires bumped, nothing terrible would happen.

Turned the key on, everything was good for about two seconds, until the passenger side mirror started moving up, of it's own accord. Once it hit the top of it's range, it died. As did my radio and my fan. And my interior and cargo lights. So I hunted out a bad fuse, which was marked as Blower Motor. Replaced it. Also checked the wiring, as I thought it may have been crushed. It was, slightly, so I taped the cut in the insulation, and put the mirror back on, not quite as tight this time. Turned the ignition on (with the new fuse in place), and nothing different happens. Still no lights, or radio, or mirrors...any thoughts?

I also checked the other fuses, none were bad that I could see, but I was using a slightly dim light in the very dark night.

This may sound stupid but check that the fuse that was replaced got placed in the correct slot and not in a spare slot good luck .

Deffinately in the right place. The blown fuse was toward the front of the panel, where there's two fuses set off to the side.

I went and tried it again. Apparently the fuse worked, because I seem to have a fan again. Still nothing else, however.

Does anybody know which fuse(s) the radio and interior lights are on? And if they're different than the fuse for the fan, any ideas why they'd all go?

Use a meter or test light to check fuses, I have found "Good" fuses that were blown before. Also, are you looking in both fuse panels? The underhood one has interior circuits also.

Alright, I'll test them then...I did check both boxes, though the underhood one didn't seem to me to have the sorts of things I would expect to be on a common fuse. Any ideas as to which fuse the radio is on?

Tested the fuses, and all is well there. The radio is apparently on #8. And I also got to discover that my truck doesn't start when the power locks fuse is out. Anybody out there have any other ideas as to what it might be?

What I can't figure is why my fan would have gone out?

check the fuse in the dash marked I.O.D, its in the little black cover, in the fuse block, kind of a pain to get out, but should solve your problem,

Yeah, I checked the I.O.D fuses as well...they're all fine. I talked to my mechanic today finally, and he said he suspects the body control module. I don't know what the heck these things are worth, but I'm guessing it won't be cheap.

Anybody have any ideas why the module would suddenly close the circuit?

I unplugged the batteries for about a half hour today, and then when I reconnected them and turned the ignition to ACC, everything worked fine...for about half a second. Then poof, gone again.

Alright, I got 'er figured. I started probing wires, and it turns out the wire was broken about 8 inches after the I.O.D. fuse. Coincidence, perhaps? I don't rightly know. Crimped the wires back together, and the power amp fuse went. Replaced that, and everything has been working fine since. I put about 3 hours on it since then, and no problems whatsoever; other than the fact that the drivers side mirror doesn't seem to be responding properly.

Anyways guys, thanks alot for your help. I was kind of dreading this issue when stuff first went wrong, but I'm quite pleased with the outcome, and I even managed to learn a thing or two in the process.

Thanks again!

Back