Engine R/R Easy way!

dangerous06

diesel tech
Well it's time to pull a tired Well abused motor! Gonna post a few pics and answer any questions that may pop up!
20150118_155055.jpg

OK now on to the fun part! First the condenser from past experience just disconnect the top line yeah you'll lose all your Freon but makes life so much easier to move it to the side and if you don't your more than likely to break the line at the connector "LEAK"
20150122_115053.jpg

Then the intercooler tranny cooler and radiator don't forget the P.S. cooler on the bottom!
20150122_141332.jpg

Now a cool short cut! The front cross member is in the way! Remove the bolts slide it to one side and sawzall it BETWEEN the mounting bolts on both side and then it will come out AND you can put it back and bolt it in without it even showing!

20150122_144121.jpg

20150122_144254.jpg

20150122_144452_1.jpg

20150122_173115.jpg

You have to take the valve cover, rockers and injectors off to pull the motor. I found a sloppy oil water mix inside yuck! Don't forget the push rods and plastic plugs above the rear push rods so you can get them out!

Last edited:
Disconnect the Exhaust manifold and main harness connector and all the fuel lines and strap the P.S. pump to the side and then it can be removed as a unit with everything on it
Much easier to transfer parts over to your new motor IF YOU HAVE ONE!

20150124_125948.jpg

20150124_143635.jpg

20150124_125956.jpg

If you pull the head while the engine is in the truck you don't need to drop the trans or pull the front cross member to get the engine out

You guys that cut that cross member for the radiator core support get me. All you have to do is take out the two body bolts under the core support and spread the fenders...

If you pull the head while the engine is in the truck you don't need to drop the trans or pull the front cross member to get the engine out

Can't agree more.

As many of these over the years I have done two hours and a motor is out.

Cutting a support is silly.

I've tried all the above ways but for ease of removal I like this way. Don't have to take the head off unless you just want to look at it!

Totally can relate.
Granted, I do have a cherry picker where I rent a shop with *gasp* a concrete floor, to store engines/blocks, but nothing beats an all-terrain forklift to move engines around and pull them from junkers.:cool:
Trying to tug around a 1200 pound engine with a Cherry Picker, even with good sized wheels, is an exercise for this fat man. :woohoo:

As far as how this gentleman has removed his engine, sure we'd all do it differently, but if the man doing the work owns the truck and he feels comfortable with the way he does it, he is the only guy that matters.

Personally, I'd never given any thought to unbolting the core support and spreading the fender supports to get the front bar out, I'll remember that one for later.

Mark.

You didn't mention you were goona swap Engines............When you called.

You didn't mention you were goona swap Engines............When you called.

Yeah turned out to be a bit more than I thought! Motors in, tranny's in just have to bolt up the misc parts and back on the road I hope! LOL
Todd send me your address so I can return this PRV!

Back