Engine rebuild advice

12vf250

I wear my bill curved
Got a '05 5.9L in the shop that ate a turbo. Customer was towing a 4 horse trailer up a 7% grade when it let go. All the oil went thru the intercooler and it ran away until it ran out of oil. #6 melted the piston skirts to the cylinder wall. Everything else looks pretty good. Bearings are rough, but they didn't wear through the babbit. Crank and cam journals look good, head looks good, no mixing of oil and coolant. My question is about removing the aluminum from the cylinder wall. Is there a good way to do it, or do I just send the block out and get it punched? The truck is all stock and going to stay that way (maybe a mild programmer in the future) and will be a DD/tow pig. 200,xxx miles.

For sure that block and head needs to be checked and machined while apart. I would just sleeve it if the other bores hone clean to size. Deck the block and head, check valve seats, mild valve job, guides. Besides the obvious rebuild parts replace the oil cooler which is often overlooked. Don't try to clean it. The block needs to be cleaned very good after all the machine work. Flush all the oil passages and replace piston cooling nozzles as they are cheap to do.

If there is no scoring on the cylinder wall you can try and hone it but if it's #6 Your going to have to pull it anyway to get to it. So a .020 punch out and everything new or just get a rebuilt long block from a local supplier easiest way to go!

If there is no scoring on the cylinder wall you can try and hone it but if it's #6 Your going to have to pull it anyway to get to it. So a .020 punch out and everything new or just get a rebuilt long block from a local supplier easiest way to go!

I cant tell if the cylinder wall is scored, or if it is just aluminum transfered from the piston. Looking at it and thinking more about it, the machine shop is the right way to go. Im sure a .020 punch will clean it all up, and they can finish hone it and fit the pistons better than I could. A dunk in the hot tank would do it good too.

Do not hone it yourself, thats an amateur fix, let a machine shop do it.

Back