Engine rebuild should be fun

79fordcrew

Banned
Rebuilding engine and I got a little crazy. Bought 286110 Pistons flycut for a no limit 208-221 108 cam. Heavy duty valve springs and pushrods. Arp throughout,billet freeze plugs with water bypass. Airdog 2 G4, 5k gsk, and 5x018 injectors. Have a 64 that was on the truck gonna run it a bit until I can get a Gta4202 to and piping to add to it. What do you guys think of this setup and what it's capable of. It's a 98 2500 qcsb 5 speed. Clutch and gauges are in, and 7mm dvs. Thoughts on what I should have done or not done . Thanks comp d members

Stock head for now. Going to do a ported head with orings when money allows.i think comp cuts would be to smokey but we will see.

If you're going to drive it on the street I would advise against a cam with that much duration. All you're doing is killing bottom end and making smoke and shifting the power band over to over 3000 rpm. What's the compression ratio on the 286110? Don't have my notes on me.

Call Zach at Hamilton cams he'll get you going on the right path! Unless this is a race only truck?!

286210's would have been a better choice. Too much camshaft if the primary goal is street driving. I would back down on camshaft and if you want to use your flycut 110's, deck the head to reduce valve depth to increase low lift flow, make use of your flycuts and increase compression.

I do a lot of pulling with it but it is street driven. If I don't like the cam I will sell it and go smaller cam. As for Pistons I already have them and am awaiting for the block. If I don't like it I will change it. We will see! What kind of numbers do you think it will put down.

30 if the truck isn't too heavy. If it's pretty heavy, 25 was great with my 467, but had to drop to 21ish for towing. Me personally, I'd go with 30 if I could truly turn 5k.

30 if the truck isn't too heavy. If it's pretty heavy, 25 was great with my 467, but had to drop to 21ish for towing. Me personally, I'd go with 30 if I could truly turn 5k.

hitting the nail on the head. I completely agree. You're not going to have to worry about popping too many head gaskets with that setup!

Back