Excessive timing with vp, can it hurt?

when i had my head off in 2006 my pistons looked just like homewreckers. at that time i was running some DDP150's, and edge drag comp, but before that had a vanaaken and banks ottomind

I remember reading a thread on DTR about a guy in Texas who was running a superchips programmer and a Edge EZ or a Van Aken, or some other similar box towing heavy and ended up with a blown head gasket and melted piston crowns. From the pictures, it was obvious that the injectors were spraying out of the bowl.

I don't know enough about VP-44's to know for certain the maximum mechanical limits of the pump to advance timing but if I recall correctly, the pump is capable of spraying outside the piston bowls.

If power does not drop off, you'd have to assume that most of the fuel is staying in the bowl and that the extra power is from the more efficient use of the previously late fueling ie pump stretch.

I ran Comp stacked with Superchips for a year & when my block cracked, the pistons looked very good.

These are pics of my 01 HO motor after running an edge ez for approx 40k miles,stock injectors,no other tuners,boxxes.My question is are the patterns on the top of the pistons from spraying outside the bowl?
DSC00429.jpg

DSC00430.jpg

That is definately outside of the bowl. Maybe chip meant that we couldn't get enough timing to actually cause damage?

A buddy of mine picked up a bone stock 24v and the pistons look like pictured above.

Mach 4's with about 65k miles on them, Drag Comp doing timing.

100_0982.jpg

100_0986.jpg

so all the carnage pics..hows bout someone showin us what they think its posed to look like..since im never gonna pull my head off til its blown the gasket .....

I ran the adr comp2_4k last night on level 8 with smarty SW#7 stock settings, and man it pulled strong and ran smooth!

Jamie what setting's were you running with your tune and the smarty? I got a smarty, but i still don't have a pulse (next),

I havent touched the settings on the smarty yet

I ran the adr comp2_4k last night on level 8 with smarty SW#7 stock settings, and man it pulled strong and ran smooth!

Jamie what setting's were you running with your tune and the smarty? I got a smarty, but i still don't have a pulse (next),

I havent touched the settings on the smarty yet

I run Fuel stretch 2200, timing 10*, both mins 45, both max at 100, boost scale 20. I run Smarty on sw3, timing 4.

so all the carnage pics..hows bout someone showin us what they think its posed to look like..since im never gonna pull my head off til its blown the gasket .....

Those really aren't carnage pics, just spraying outside the bowl. If the injectors were spraying inside the bowl, you would see the same marks from the spray inside the piston bowl. My head is off my truck now, and was surprised my DDP Com 250's were actually spraying inside the bowl @ 22*.

Well, I will try adjusting the smarty tomorrow, but it drove like hell with your tune and smarty sw6 and 7 on all power levels, it felt like it wanted to run away with anything more than 1/4 throttle

Back