Excuse my ignorance

There seem to be a plenty half ton rcsb chebbies rocking out in awd/4wd with their wound out LS-based turbo trucks around... Don't hear too much about them flirting with walls. Is it a weight issue? Torque?

My 10 cents when jimmy smith truck first came into the game it was squirlly on the launch dunno about big end but maybe ppl just havin spent enough time ta get one lined out I dunno why it would make that much of a difference cause wieght is everything

im gonna hogue to ban brushpull for this blasphemy , but wade a second , was his brain washed to make him ask suck a question ?

He watched a bunch of drag races at Scheid and was overwhelmed with all the teeth people had. He will probably get Hogue and Wade involved in a program and put a truck together

P.S. I'm probably going to be cleaning toilets tomorrow at work for this.

Mine runs smooth and straight as an arrow!!!
1.55-1.49 60ft and 10.03-10.1 on average.
If I launch to hard it will start hopping.

All I did was put 1/2ton springs on front and took one leaf and blocks out on back, with cal tracks. I haven't touched the suspension since the day I ran 12.50's 5 years ago!

From what I have seen, they are a handful on the big end.

Its true it did get squirley and I do beleive that was because of the short 4x4 chassis, it seemed to have more torque steer than others.

While a short 4x4 looks cool I would not want one for going any faster than a high 9 with it.

x2

There's a vid floating around on DD of a guy with a single cab short bed flipping his truck in a street race.... seems like a bit of handful on the top end.
Mine runs smooth and straight as an arrow!!!
1.55-1.49 60ft and 10.03-10.1 on average.
If I launch to hard it will start hopping.

All I did was put 1/2ton springs on front and took one leaf and blocks out on back, with cal tracks. I haven't touched the suspension since the day I ran 12.50's 5 years ago!

Nice to see someone has it working out... got any vids. :rockwoot: Love to see it.

x2

There's a vid floating around on DD of a guy with a single cab short bed flipping his truck in a street race.... seems like a bit of handful on the top end.

Talking about a white Duramax?? If so that is/was a 2wd and is being converted to 4wd this winter.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6N8vqBlaB-o&sns=em"]Devon Lock 10.03 12 valve fuel only - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-gDbg75KSc&sns=em"]FSJ Race 12valve cummins 10.04 fuel only - YouTube[/ame]

My two best passes

LOL I happen to know the guy...he's lives pretty close to me. It only makes about 550-600 HP but it is VERY squirrely!

From the video I saw, you'll geet no arguments from me.... truck got down, but did so in a very siidewunder-esque manner LOL

Just heard of someone else building one. Hope nobody thought I let the cat out of the bag because I didn't even know this person was building. Shaneo is the one I'm talking about TravisG. Don't know if he talked to you about it or not. Neat truck, sits nice and low.

Got another question. A buddy and I were discussing and he thinks the half ton frames of the second gens are the same as the 3/4 ton. Is that true? I think he did some quick looking around on one and is pretty sure they are. Anyone else know this for sure? Reason for asking is a roller is needed. But he already has the axles. So if a 1/2 ton roller can be picked up for even cheaper that would be best.

The shorter wheelbase isn't as stable at high MPH. Look at land speed racing as an example. The more "square" the tires are together and less "rectangle", the less stable.

The two wheel drive guys are applying power in the rear and only steering in the front. Once you add front power and steering combined, they like to walk around a bit too much.

It can be made to work, but do to physics it still wont be as stable as a longer wheelbase.

Its much easier to make directional changes in a two wheel drive. Heck for the most part the front wheels on a two wheel drive are just skating on the surface.

The shorter wheelbase isn't as stable at high MPH. Look at land speed racing as an example. The more "square" the tires are together and less "rectangle", the less stable.

The two wheel drive guys are applying power in the rear and only steering in the front. Once you add front power and steering combined, they like to walk around a bit too much.

It can be made to work, but do to physics it still wont be as stable as a longer wheelbase.

Its much easier to make directional changes in a two wheel drive. Heck for the most part the front wheels on a two wheel drive are just skating on the surface.

Have to dissagree! Its 100% about set up. Our 4wd is like on rails the entire way down the track i can hold the wheel with one hand all the way down the track. Now its a extended cab but still its all about set up.

And dales truck launched like poopy becaise he had a locker in the front end, and wjent he axel.shafts unloaded it sent the truck towards the wall.

Have to dissagree! Its 100% about set up. Our 4wd is like on rails the entire way down the track i can hold the wheel with one hand all the way down the track. Now its a extended cab but still its all about set up.

And dales truck launched like poopy becaise he had a locker in the front end, and wjent he axel.shafts unloaded it sent the truck towards the wall.

I agree its about setup. No argument there. As I said its all about getting it right. I never said it couldn't work, I've run a ton of 4wd trucks as well. My current project is a 4wd RCSB swap for a street toy.

But I did say the longer WB helps in this application. I.E. ECSB is more stable at higher speed than RCSB.

Shorter WB is easier to get out of the hole, longer WB is more stable at speed.

How about post #34?

I just know on the 2wd dodge hal-fton frame. It may cross over to 4wd, but I do not know.

I don't know about at the rear of the frame. But the front and the cab portion are the same. The rear dimensions should be the same as well since the beds interchange. I'd imagine the spring hangers are different in spring width but that's a simple fix, just swap the 3/4ton hangers (If you're still running a 3/4 rear suspension).

Up front the motor is a drop in affair on a dodge 1/2ton frame and engine compartment.

On a GM the mounting horns for the engine are in different locations between 1/2 ton and 3/4. You have to fab mounts or adapters to mount the engine. Plus a few other little things that there are a half dozen ways to accomplish.

Back