Exhaust Back Pressure Valve

BigBlackTruck

The Exhaust back Pressure valve on the bottom of my turbo is stuck closed and will not open once the truck is moving. i put a screw drive in there to keep it open so i can drive the truck, but it takes forever for this thing to warm up. has anyone ever had this problem or know what to do. i heard that there is a hose from the exhasut manifold to the turbo that clogs and keeps the valve from opening. any ideas? thanks

There is a tube from the manifold that tends to clog but it is for the bak pressure sensor not the EBPV. The EBPV is an off of a rod coming from the turbo pedistal.

just delete that crap and put a high idle tune on it. mine warms up fine without the ebpv.

Hey jackblack99, I was curious about the EBPV delete also. Could you steer me in the right direction?

On my brothers '96 we disconected the EBPV, then got a Throttle cable and hooked it up.. Now its a manual EBPV or a Exhaust Brake (Kinda)

take flap right out use a freeze plug to plug top hole from shaft ur all set

If you just unplug it it will default to the open position.

Things to do to EBPV
To remove it, the two tabs that attach the butterfly valve to the shaft are simply cut off (yellow arrow). You remove the butterfly (red arrow), and then pull the shaft out (blue arrow). A 3/4-inch freeze plug (green arrow) can be pressed in on the other side and used to plug the shaft hole. The pedestal has to be modified as well but is also relatively simple. First, the snap ring is removed, the EBV actuator (rod and spring assembly) is pulled, and then the oil inlet for the EBV actuator can be tapped to accept a 1/4-inch pipe plug. This stops oil flow to the area.

Back