Exhaust brake flash

bbbxcursion

traitor
I am installing the cummins exhaust brake kit on an 06.The instructions state that it needs to be reflashed. Does anyone know what the flash changes? Any way to email it to me if I have EFI Live?

I have been thinking on this one for a day or two. The 5.9 does not have a VGT module like the 6.7, so I don't see any way to control the exhaust brake. To my knowledge there is no "exhaust brake" tune or option. I could be wrong though.

I believe the ECM on the 06-07 5.9 trucks have a pin to control the exhaust brake while in tow/haul mode.

Tobin

AFAIK, the ONLY electronic way to control an HE351ve vgt turbo (the one which has the exhaust brake "feature" due to the sliding nozzles) on a 5.9 CTD is by using the Fleece Performance standalone HE351ve turbo controller with exhaust brake switch.
They are about $700 but are fully tunable to your truck with Fleece's propriteary softeware. Their siftware would function INDEPENDANTLY of any EFI tuning that you use, but I'd imagine that they could be tuned separately to achieve what you are looking for. I willl likely be doing the same thing if I ever get the HE351ve turbo that is sitting in the garage on myto my 2005 and also if (when!!!) EFI live comes to 3rde gen trucks. If you are serious about doung this, I would DEFINITELY gove Fleece a call and see what they say. Plaese be sure to post back here with what you learn if you do call them. I will do the same, but it is likely MONTHS before I get any time to do any of this.

im pretty sure the OP meant the dealer installed exhaust brake option that was only available on the 06-07s. there is a pin on the ecm to control the brake, while the ecm may need a flash to enable TC lockup during engagement for maximum benefit. either have the dealer flash it for you, or build it with efi live

Last edited:
im pretty sure the OP meant the dealer installed exhaust brake option that was only available on the 06-07s. there is a pin on the ecm to control the brake, while the ecm may need a flash to enable TC lockup during engagement for maximum benefit. either have the dealer flash it for you, or build it with efi live

If he is referring to the Jacobs exhaust brake that Dodge insatlled on the 5.9, you are correct.

Maybe a tune that remaps the trans tuning to take advantage of it?

Maybe a tune that remaps the trans tuning to take advantage of it?

Tow haul mode does that. You can even tune T/H mode in EFI live if you don't like the factory tune.

Tobin

That's exactly what I meant. I bought the kit from a cummins dealer. I drove it in tow haul mode and it worked. But I remember the transmission down shifting more aggressively in my friends truck that had it installed from the factory.

We can mod the 4-3 downshift with EFI Live, but the 3-2 and 2-1 are all pressure based so there is not any control over them.

Back