Exhaust brake switch

Vpcummins99

May be a little out there guys but I am looking to put a led light bar on my 08 cummins. I will be getting rid of the factory turbo and will not be able to utilize the exhaust brake anymore.

My question is now that my exhaust brake switch is going to be there us it possible to wire the light and make that a regular on off switch. How is the brake wired up in the truck. Is there a plug in under the hood that I can just tap into or make a plug for it.

I'd like to keep the cab clean and not make any un necessary holes.

Also there is a light load switch in the same panel. What's that all about. I think it would be great for back rack lights.

You would probably need to take the switch apart. I plan on doing the same with my rear window switch (I have no rear window ATM so dont need the switch) and having it control E-cutout.

Really you probably have to take it apart and see.. I have a couple worn out e-brake switches I could send your way..

just barely saw this post. that would be awesome if you could send some my way. at this point im considering taking the dash apart and putting a couple switches in on the outsides of the switch panel. if at all possible though being able to use the e brake switch and the light load switch that are pretty much useless on my setup would be pretty sweet.

That switch is momentary. If you wanted to use it, you would have to remove the wires that go to the computer and tie them to a relay setup wired like a start-stop configuration so that each time you pushed the brake button it would toggle the power out of the setup. I wouldn't jack with it. Those switches are setup for very low current. You would need to run a relay anyway I would expect depending on the draw from your light bar. I think I'd cry without my e-brake.

Back