Existing 12v to 24v

Penni

I have researched this is inside of this forum and found that most all of these threads are aimed at taking a vp44 to a p-pump but what about taking an existing p-pump and putting a 24v head on it, i believe this to be the same in concept as p-pumping a 24v but with subtle differences? obviously needing new fuel lines, pistons, and I'm sure many other things... but anybody's thoughts and/or opinions on this? This is general question and I expect general answers, my ultimate goal is making a dedicated 2.6 truck with this set-up.... Are there any major issues im not considering or majorly overlooking? And this might be "dumb" of me but i did search before posting... just saying... lol

I did this. CR head on a 97 block. I like it for drag racing but just for simplicity and durability I'd stick to a 12V head for sled pulling. The 12v head is good for big rpm's.

I've done it twice. Sort of. More like started with a large selection of parts and put together 2 ppump 24V's with 12V blocks.

I'm going 12V from here on out.

i thought a 24v (CR or vp44) head flowed better than a 12v regardless? With equal amount of time/money put into each respectively...

A 24v head will flow more stock to stock. But even with minor exhaust porting on a 12v you can make some difference. Ive always like 24vs over 12vs but they are definatly a little more pricey; valve springs, injectors, cross over tubes, head work, etc.

Last edited:
ok could you give a small break-down of running a common rail head with a p-pump... i.e. go over the general steps (pistons, custom fuel lines im guessing??)

and then from a cost stand point, since you (little6cyliner) have already done this, would the money i might spend switching to a 24v head be better spent at the machine shop in my motor/head i already have?? Pros/Cons??

On a 24v valve you are limited to the size cam you can run. You can't run as much lift do to the valve train. .500 lift is all you can run with out spending a lot of money in a head girdle and new rockers/springs

Back