Extreme Strength Flexplate, Self Fabricated *pics*

LAmiller

THE KT-BOUNDARY
Ok guys, my brother(C'ya) wasted his stock flexplate on the way to TS, so in choosing a new Flexplate we started looking at the double thickness laminated flexplates and thought we had to at least try to make one.

We had two stock flexplates laying around so we had nothing to loose, besides you can get them for dime a dozen. We started by putting one on the lathe and turning out the center section to weld onto the other flexplate. Then we put them together and marked out even spaces to be welded as to keep the balance close.

After welding everything together we put it on the balancer and it was less than a .25 of an oz. off and we said good enough. Put it in the truck and the TQ converter still has the clearance it needed so we put it together and so far so good. Here are some pics of the fabrication process.

DSCN4959.jpg

DSCN4966.jpg

DSCN4975.jpg

DSCN4982.jpg

DSCN5012.jpg

DSCN5016.jpg

DSCN5024.jpg

Lavon

I have to say, I was still holding my breath when we put this thing together, I couldn't relax until we drove it and had no vibration. I was scared we would warp the plate when welding. Thats why we did short welds from one side to the other.

Lavon

There have been many custom parts which have come off that lathe, but I wouldn't have guessed a flexplate!

Brandon, we had to take the portable band saw and cut the outside 2" off the flexplate before we could clearance it in the lathe. Wasn't a lot of extra space.

Lavon

when i bought my truck from ted kobe it was done the same way it just wasn't welded at the end still had it bolted at the crank and TC ran fine.

Back