Falls on its face. 1989 1st gen

zx800x

Have a 1st gen 1989 d350 manual trans, idles great runs great. When accelerating it will just fall on its face, doesn't kill, will return to idle. Replaced the fuel filter, replaced the engine mounted pump. Checked the lines to the tank. Do not see any issues. Tried for a search and came up empty. Any ideas what to check. Thanks In advance.

Possibly water in fuel or something broke or came loose in the injection pump.

Last edited:
If it was the fss it wouldnt run. Make sure you don't have any collapsed fuel lines. Rubber that old will collapse easy. If that doesn't work try the fuel pickup in the tank could be a blockage there.

If it was the fss it wouldnt run. Make sure you don't have any collapsed fuel lines. Rubber that old will collapse easy. If that doesn't work try the fuel pickup in the tank could be a blockage there.

No, you can have random cut out and seem to partially engage the plunger. I had a low power and then cut out issues that went back to the fss.

Is the FSS the fuel shut off switch? How do I check/test it or eliminate that as an issue? Its not random it will do it everytime you lay into the throttle. I blew air through the lines back to the tank, seemed clear. Should I just replace the rubber hose to eliminate a hose collapsing or how do I check that.

Take a chisel or flat blade screw driver and tap the fss to get it to unscrew. Pull out plunger and spring. Put solenoid back on and start truck. Run it. If it still does it, that wasnt your problem

There is a manual kill lever on the side of the pump. Many just hook a pull cable to it and gut the solenoid.

Put some additive in the fuel. Seen a 92 act up like this. Stopped after some additive.

Back