Fan Clutch Info

CorneliusRox

Seasoned Rookie
Yesterday morning I noticed my fan was on full bore. I turned the truck off, noticed the fan wouldn't free spin easily, pulled the plug, and about 5min of driving it went back to normal. I plugged it back in and it worked as it should. Then today in the morning it did about the same thing.
I got out the multimeter and tested the 60amp fuse and two relays and they didn't seem to have power going to them.

I'm wondering if me unplugging the fan really had anything to do with it and if possibly the fan clutch is going bad? They're $400 for OEM and about $150 off RockAuto for aftermarket which I don't know if I feel good about.

Anyways, I thought I'd see if anyone has any thoughts on this.
And if anyone's gone to electric fans, let me know what you want for your clutch. :Cheer:

Probably unrelated, but my new batteries (4 months old) were dead Monday morning after not touching my truck all weekend. I noticed M26 (Bat – Ign Sw, WIN, PASS) had about 120mA going through it. I think that powers my Maestro and Radio too, so maybe one of them was drawing the current. Working that bug out as well.

For the screwing around you get into with electric fans, just spend the money on what it's supposed to have. We replace those with Hayden, and have had zero trouble.
I don't believe Dodge is manufacturing them anyway.

This should be the OEM part number
68155609AB use it to cross reference to Hayden or Dorman

On edit: Sometimes when the fan clutch is acting up, it is related to a fault code elsewhere.

Last edited:
For the screwing around you get into with electric fans, just spend the money on what it's supposed to have. We replace those with Hayden, and have had zero trouble.
I don't believe Dodge is manufacturing them anyway.

This should be the OEM part number
68155609AB use it to cross reference to Hayden or Dorman

On edit: Sometimes when the fan clutch is acting up, it is related to a fault code elsewhere.

Thanks Snedge. That's what I found too. I'm guessing mine is a 68155609AA which I guess didn't engage at idle causing AC issues or something and are more prone to fail.

If you have good luck with Hayden's, I'll order one up. They're $150 off Rock Auto it looks like.

Are they power on or power off?

My understanding is they're 40% effort when unplugged and typically fail to free-spin if the silicone gets out. I've found a few people who have had it fail to 100% effort which sounds good, but it's bad for mileage, NVH, and will eventually chew up the hub and send the fan into the radiator. I also read they're PWM but the fact that there are two relays controlling it makes me think that's false. Keep in mind, this information I found from various forum non-CompD forum people, so who knows how accurate it is.

Those are multiple speed clutches. Depending on demand. The hotter the engine gets the faster the fan spins.
Failures where they won't reach the speed required to cool efficiently, are the most common for us.
Second would be that stupid harness bracket giving up, and letting the fan eat the wiring.

Back