Fan runs too much

seriousdiesel

Swapped a 97 12v into a 06 Ford this winter that was a v10. I used the factory v 10 radiator, 12 fan and clutch. I also installed a real coolant temp guage since the v10 factory guage is head temp not coolant temp. Problem Im having Is that the fan is kicking on too early. Temp consistantly runs in the 175-180 range but the damn fan clutch engages at 176 degrees, so it runs constantly. Its realy annoying and I'm sure its sucking extra fuel. Has anyone had this trouble with their conversion? I'm not sure if changing to a diesel radiator will help or if I need to try to find a higher temp clutch for the fan. I dont want to do electric because I tow. Anyone have this problem yet?

Whatever stock 12v Dodge is, I think 180. Its a new cummins part. Problem is it doesnt get to 180 deg before the fan kicks on. yesterday it was 90 deg outside i was in town with the AC on and the coolant tem got to 190. that is the highest Ive seen it in the 5000 mi Ive ran the truck.

My fan always runs at slow speeds doesn't matter if its up to temp or not.

mine runs all the time from 176 deg coolant temp and up. I have done several conversions, (all in trucks that were originally diesel) and never had this trouble. I just hate to go buying a radiator only to not fix my problem.

mine runs all the time from 176 deg coolant temp and up. I have done several conversions, (all in trucks that were originally diesel) and never had this trouble. I just hate to go buying a radiator only to not fix my problem.
pull your fan and put a electric or 2.

I had a conversion with electrics and it didnt like towing very much. This truck has to work, its a tow machine and a snow plower. I think im just going to grab a diesel radiator and hope it helps.

Check the part numbers you get for a V10 radiator and a diesel radiator. I'm pretty sure Ford uses the same radiator between both engines, so unless your current radiator has an issue, you might not see any gain in cooling performance with a diesel radiator.

is it a factory or aftermarket fan clutch? I had to put an aftermarket one on mine and it seems to run alot more than the factory one. haven't confirmed for sure though. now I have a weeping head gasket, which seems to make it run more as well.

Now that you mention it, I put a replacement Hayden fan clutch on my 12V in my F350 and now it seems to run the fan alot more than it did when the original Cummins/Mopar fan clutch was working correctly.

diesel rad is bigger. 4 core vs 2 core. i left the v 10 rad in it because it held way more coolant than a dodge did and figured it would be sufficient. I really think the size and cooling of the radiator is fine, I just am hoping that a thicker rad will possibly lower the ambient air temps around the fan clutch, seems like its possible in my head anyway.

Weird, Ford and several aftermarket suppliers list the same PN for both the gas and diesel radiators, which led me to believe they were the same. Sorry for the bad info.

Back