FASS/ Stock pump

zukgod1

Old fart
Ok so I think I already know the answer but lets just see what everyone else thinks.

I am currently running a FASS 150 and I'm wondering about running it through the factory lift pump/filter assy (with the pump running).
Not trying to get more than 20 psi just REALLY don't like replacing $1300.00 VP's.
Just thinking if I had the FASS feeding the factory system I would just have more fuel flow (after replacing the banjos) and a second system.
I havent removed it thats why I ask.

Another option I have been concidering is, I have a 50gal tank in the back of the truck and I run it through a filter before it feeds the main tank but currently it's just gravity feed. So I was thinking of using the factory lift pump/filter from the aux tank to the main tank. My concern with this is the aux tank is higher than the main tank obviously and gravity would cause the main to overfill as fuel flows through the factory lift pump running or not correct?

I'm board today can ya tell?

dan

I wouldnt bother with the factory pump if you have the FASS, but I might rig it to where I could easily connect the stocker up in the event the FASS had a problem I'm not really up on the tank to tank thing, but I dunno if that Ideawould work, because I'm not sure that cutting the power to the pump will stop the siphon

Here is something I just thought of.
how about running the transfer tank through the stock system with a T feeding the VP then I would have an aux 50 gal tank plumbed in..??

I wonder if the factory system was off if the FASS would force feed the fuel back through into the transfer tank.??
Did I mention I'm really board today?
dan

Timbeaux38 said:
I wouldnt bother with the factory pump if you have the FASS, but I might rig it to where I could easily connect the stocker up in the event the FASS had a problem I'm not really up on the tank to tank thing, but I dunno if that Ideawould work, because I'm not sure that cutting the power to the pump will stop the siphon

The siphon is my concern for sure.
I already have it feeding the main tank but through gravity. I would really like it to transfer faster. I end up forgetting its transfering and end up with diesel running down the side of the truck, messy.
i have a ball valve on the transfer tnak now.

dan

OIC. I know guys who actually have the transfer tank plumbed through the filler neck of the regular tank. I was thinking that was your current setup. You may be able to use the carter for that, but It may not be much faster than gravity

That is the way mine is plumbed Tim, I was thinking it would transfer faster if pumped rather than gravity. However I am running 5/8 hose so it does transfer preaty fast and it is going through a filter/ water seperator.
I wonder about using one of those old tank switches from 78ish Chevys. The ones they had from tank to tank. I could stick one of those inline and when I hit the switch it turns on the carter and opens the valve at the same time..
now the wheels are turning.

dan

Try this...

Get 2 solenoid valves and your T fitting, rig it so that when one is on and open, the other is off and not flowing. Have this to control the feed to the pump, i.e., if you are running from the stock tank you are not using the aux tank. What this will do is let you run the stock tank low, then switch to the aux tank and run off of it, now here's the kicker, if you leave the return line hooked up in stock configuration as you tool along the stock tank will be refilled. And with one switch to flip going from one to the other is a piece of cake.

Personally I hated my FASS, you couldn't give me another one. I would always run my injection lines dry under wot.
My A100, -10 feed line with -8 out of the regualtor to the filter canister has worked awesome so far. Truck idles smoother, and sounds better. I have the pressure set @ 14, under wot have seen no less then 13 psi.
It is the volume that counts, not the psi.

cowboyup20x said:
Personally I hated my FASS, you couldn't give me another one. I would always run my injection lines dry under wot.
My A100, -10 feed line with -8 out of the regualtor to the filter canister has worked awesome so far. Truck idles smoother, and sounds better. I have the pressure set @ 14, under wot have seen no less then 13 psi.
It is the volume that counts, not the psi.

No kidding? I dont think I've had that problem. However, I dont race or sled pull this thing. Pull a jeep once in a while and thats about it so I suspect I will never experiance that (fingers crossed).

dan

My FASS always had psi, but that was it. I would run the lines dry on the street with nothing behind it. Make sure to have a 19mm wrench with you for the time it does happen. When you are walking to Wal-Mart in the middle of winter to buy a wrench because they are the only place open really bites.:doh:

cowboyup20x said:
My FASS always had psi, but that was it. I would run the lines dry on the street with nothing behind it. Make sure to have a 19mm wrench with you for the time it does happen. When you are walking to Wal-Mart in the middle of winter to buy a wrench because they are the only place open really bites.:doh:

expound on this a bit for me will ya?

What is the 19mm for?

dan

zukgod1 said:
expound on this a bit for me will ya?

What is the 19mm for?

dan

I use a 19mm or you can use a 3/4" wrench to loosen injection lines 1,3,4 to bleed the air out and retighten to get the truck started. I could crank it all day long but it wouldn't start until I bleed the injection lines. It even happened to Jeff Garmon when he was driving my truck, what a pain in the a$$.

Here are some pics fo my fuel system, there is alot of dirt due to the last couple of pulls being really dusty.

wyattpics069.jpg

wyattpics076.jpg

wyattpics078.jpg

wyattpics070.jpg

That's a good looking system for sure.
Tell me what you did in the tank would ya? PU, return etc.
Did you install a new return @ the tank and what did you do for the PU?

I see a couple things that dont look factory :smirk:

Also I didnt see a filter, what are you using?

I doubt I'll be swaping my FASS out right now but ya never know what will happen in the future.
Thanks
dan

I like mine so far, great pressure 19 at idle and never below 14 at WOT. But I am not even close to the same amount as you guys.

You guys are confusing me.

cowboyup20x or smokem... :aiwebs_029:

either way, thanks for the explanation.
However.... What about a filter? Using the stocker?

dan

So just for giggles I jumped on Summit and it looks like for approx a little bit more than a FASS you could get one hell of a fuel system.

The things you discover after the fact.

I think I'll go ahead and change out all my line to larger AN lines.

Can someone tell me what the AN size correspond to?

Also what threads are on the FASS so I know what fittings to get.

Thanks
dan

Smokem is my younger brother, if that helps with the confusion. :confused: :aiwebs_013:

My system cost just a little more then my FASS did, but I like it alot more. I bought expensive hose, which you wouldn't have to if you don't want.

Yes Hazmat I could run up to 45psi with this system, but you don't need all the pressure, just the volume. The overflow valves opens after 15psi anyway, so that is why mine is set about 14.5.

Just put the AN size over 16 for a close conversion. 8AN/16 = 1/2" ID

I used a fitting that I have only found by Earl's, it it a m12 x 1.5. It is the same size and pitch as a banjo bolt. I use the factory fuel filter housing and it works fine. My fuel pressure gauge is after the filter. Look to the right of the bypass regualtor, and you can see the lid of the filter housing and the fitting going into it.

There is not a VP-44 on this earth that can run away from the 95 GPH FASS. You had other issues going on with your FASS or lines sucking air. Cavitation...something......I have WAY to many units on 500-600 Trucks with no issues at all with 1.5 PSI pressure drops. ALSO when your pressure drops, your volume to your IP pump goes up.

Back