Few questions from a new guy...

BayleeWatson07

Hey guys, I just got a steal on a 98 dodge 3500 automatic 2wd. I've been trying to figure out a few things and can't find an answer.
1: how much hp is the bd diesel super b special turbo good for(it's gonna be a dd)
2:I see ATS has a "master" rebuild kit for the 47rh, is this a big improvement? What kinda hp will it withstand? If not any good, what's my best route?
3:what is my limitations on mods with stock turbo?

Biggest thing with these transmissions is a good converter and valve body. Call Phil at DPC for a converter. Rebuild kits are personal preference.
It's pretty easy to push the stock turbos out of their map with just a fuel plate, gov springs, and injectors. It all really depends on what you want to do with the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just want it to where when I stomp it, it'll throw ya back in the seat. About 400hp or a little more.

I would work on the transmisson first. I've heard nothing but good feedback from Phil. Like said above. A good converter and valve body should take priority. Build the trans to hold up to more than you're goals incase you decide you want more. 400hp is easy and not over bank robbing. 5x.012's, 62/65/.9 or 62/71/.88, pump work ( 4 gsk/valve springs, free afc mods for full rack travel, hot street dv's, 17* of timing) will get you well into the 400hp. Head studs are a good idea. It's a nice street friendly set up and you can still tow with it without and issues.

Last edited:
That's the other thing, I pull a 24' gooseneck pretty regularly so I need it to still be tow friendly. As far as the transmission goes, besides torque converter and valve body, is there anything else I need to withstand my needs?

Depends on your budget.

A TC and VB will help it last a long time, if you have the budget for the peace of mind for a full rebuild, then go that route.

I'd run twins with the stock turbo and a good old Ht3b or K31...proven reliable combo for your desires.

some good advice. stock turbo in twins and upgraded valve body and torque converter.
Not sure at what point billet input is recommended.
you can spend upwards of 6k on a built trans. its expensive as all he11.
Maybe some head studs once youre over 40 psi level.

You have a 215 pump. 4K gsk, small injector or delivery valve upgrade, a $300 he351 off a 3rd gen, and fine tuning of the afc and maybe some more timing, and you'll have 400whp for pretty cheap. Don't buy the special save that money to upgrade the transmission

You have a 215 pump. 4K gsk, small injector or delivery valve upgrade, a $300 he351 off a 3rd gen, and fine tuning of the afc and maybe some more timing, and you'll have 400whp for pretty cheap. Don't buy the special save that money to upgrade the transmission

Good advice, some 5x12's or 5x14's should do nicely.

If his IP is stock, it's a 180.

What Hp can a he351 handle? Is it a better idea for a dd just messing around and pulling the odd load compared to twins? Would auto or std change the best Option?

Back