Fill in the blank: My G56 broke in _____ gear

Allmaras Diesel

If you broke a G56 please post what gear it was in when it went and which gears chipped, shaft snapped, where the case broke.

Fix in the works. Looking for a better overall picture of how these fail before going off local failures only.

Thanks.

My 47rh broke in all forward gears, it burned up the forward clutch pack because I experimented with the clutch pack design.

My fix was to go back to the stock design..........

Oh wait, this is a Mercedes transmission thread...... In that case, the Nag1 automatic transmission in my Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel has never had a problem in any gear......

Fill in the blank: My G56 broke in WHAT gear?

Did I get the question right?

Who makes a aftermarket G56 STEEL Case and Gears? Only person I know of doing G56 stuff, case supports, cyro gears etc is Lazarsmith in TX
Transmission

as for What gear are they breaking I've read about 3rd gear breaking in the g56.. I haven't broken mine yet.
Thanks,
deo

Last edited:
I'm thinking my 3rd gear is going to break sooner than later. Gotta nice gear whine, like the face of the teeth are chipped up...

^x2?

Oh and by the way to the OP, I have seen one break in 6th gear.

Last edited:
Who makes a aftermarket G56 STEEL Case and Gears? Only person I know of doing G56 stuff, case supports, cyro gears etc is Lazarsmith in TX
Transmission

as for What gear are they breaking I've read about 3rd gear breaking in the g56.. I haven't broken mine yet.
Thanks,
deo

There's a much better fix possible then what's on the market now. If this thread is representative of G56 reliability then there is no market for the parts I was working on.

I have seen two different trucks break 5 G56's total. Every time it was 2nd high with a sled behind it. Countershaft was gone and direct was the only gear left.

There's a much better fix possible then what's on the market now. If this thread is representative of G56 reliability then there is no market for the parts I was working on.

I wouldn't say G56's are reliable behind a modified motor by any means. More details on your fix please.

Sled pulling truck...broke ALL gears...2nd high 10ft out of gate.

G56

I chipped a few teeth off of 6th gear with heavy towing. There is a market for your parts!
The G56 is useless behind a high hp engine. I will help you sell them too!

yeah if you have special parts let us know, I'd definately be interested as it shifts like butter and strength would be awesome...

First one I broke was a loss of 4th. I was successful driving/ pulling it for several more months. Then 6th went and it took the side of the case out with it. Second one I broke I lost every gear but 5th. Never really had any breakage pulling with it just drag racing and hard shifting. I pulled 5th in low.

3rd gear, with a hard 2 - 3 shift on the maiden voyage to test the new twins (about 500hp setup on 22.5 semi wheels and tires): Clutch held, tires held, 3rd did not. Haven't pulled it open to see if it just shredded the teeth off, or if it split the gear or what. All other gears worked just no 3rd, and you could hear pieces of what I assume to be 3rd rattling around.

I too am interested in this steel case.

Back