Filled block, Still use water pump as pulley

Pony_Kegger

If i remove the impeller, can it still be used as a idler pully. I dont want to have to reroute the belt drive. It is for my puller, Will the berrings be ok with out water to cool them.

Why not just plate it off and use the same belt the electric water pump guys use?

I dont want to change the belt, I have it setup to use a stock belt with no ac pump, 2 injections pumps on the belt drive and no power steering.

I don't think a water pump bearing will live long without coolant, but I've also never tried it. It's a small bearing and I think the bearing speed will be excessive with no coolant and is gonna cook itself.

I guess the real question is does the coolant even come in contact with the bearing on a good water pump.

No, its the seals you have to worry about getting hot and leaking. Bearings should be fine.

It'll work fine. It's a sealed bearing, and you're not going to run it much.

If you don't have some sort of pulley on that side of the crank the belt will "bounce" a lot at 5000+rpm.

i plan on doing this as well. I still have the alt, but removed the fan hub so i can take the front cover off easier. i had considered drilling it for a grease fitting. that being said, making a mount to bolt on an idler pulley like is on the tensioner or a 3rd gen would be easy as well.

Back