Filling a block

GRotman

Chief Indian
For those of you out there that have filled a block, I'm looking for any tips or tricks. I figure fill to within 1/2'' of top of block?
Anyone know at what point this is mandatory?

I would be more worried that you get all the air bubbles out. The hard blok material should come with directions.

I have also heard of a company that will fill the block with molten cast iron?

The way I have been told is that is makes the bottom end stronger "solid", and that you dont fill it all the way so that the head and top of block will still grow and shrink together with changes of water temp.... anybody else??

With too much boost the cylinder walls start to flex and eventually break.
By filling the blocks coolant passages with hardblok or others you can maintain a stiffer cylinder wall.

I was told or read at one time just to fill under the freeze plugs but I wouldn't think thats enough.

back in the day (before aluminum race blocks) we would will the block with a poly/glass resin of some sort. Will have to ask the owner if he remembers what it was. It was lighter & had a higher tensile strength than the hard block. As far as 1/2 or full fill, we would fill to about 2 inches of the deck surface.

scot

I have seen a few hemis that were wet sleved because the have problems when to much nitrous or boost, I wounder if that would work with a cummins?

Two schools of thought one is to strengthen the bottom end, and the other is to allow larger bore and increase the cylinder wall strength.

If it is a puller only and the rules allow it I would fill it.

Scot, could you let me know about the resin you were talking about?

Back