Fire ring thread from other thread

Dalpilot

Joe Nobody!
This is a response to Robts from another thread when he said he was having his heads fire ringed.

Me:
Your going to fire ring it? You sure you want to do that? Have ya decked the block and head yet?

Last edited:
now now guys no need to high jack this great thread

:rules:

I personally think, and this is just my opinion and the guy doing the machine work on my engine, that fire ringing gives you less of a clamping area on the gasket. Making the mating surfaces flat and using studs seems like the better way to go. Gene had a set of fire ringed heads and took them off after a lot of HG problems IIRC.

I checked my heads before I put the motor back together. Them seemed flat. Infact ATS said they werent bad...within tolerance. It only puked at 55+ psi. I had time so I did it. I had school for the next few weeks so felt like dealing with it before it got worse. I thought Redneck60 was fireringed.

The next weekest link is the bottom end....Lets see how long that holds up?

If you can break that crank, you are doing something. My block and head surfaces looked like a roller coaster. Total required off of them combined to get them flat, everywhere, was 7 thou! Within tolerance meaning stock tolerance, or 55-70 PSI tolerance?

Another way to look at it is to look at the exhaust manifold-to-head surface....no gaskets at all. (Just a really good mating surface.)

Back