first gen injector pop pressure

Mad Fabrication

I am looking at running a 5x16 or 5x18 in my ve powered Cummins should the pop pressure be set at the 245 bar 3553 psi or is there a better option when running a bigger injector? I know I have seen 245 to 280 bar need to know the benefits and down falls of going either.

Most people run 245-290 bar. I know a lot of the fuel only guys like bumping up the pressure. Usually bumping it up seems to make a big injector cleaner. I've never actually seen a back to back test to see if it makes more power or not on a VE.

Ok thank you. Motorwood why would you keep it low? Just wondering so I can make a decision on need to understand. And JQmile do you know the crack pressure on your injectors is? Had read that they dont haze much when cruzing and you are running a BIG injector.

The VE is not as structuraly large or strong as a p-pump, for which the higher pressures are used. Staying close to spec on your pop pressure will pro-long the life of your camplate and rollers.

Think I am going with a 5x16. Feel the 5x18 might be a little unrealistce right now. I dont mind the haze at idle but dont wsnt an injector hazing just driving down the road thats why I wss wondering if I should run a higher crack pressure. I dont know what JQmiles is running for crack pressure but know he has BIG injectors and seen video seem to drive down the road pretty clean

Im pretty sure both Jason and I have run 6x16's and 5x25's . I dont think the 6x16's hazed too bad, but the 5x25's were pretty dirty. Most VE guys run stock DV's (because full cuts dont seem to make much difference)this helps haze considerably.

Mine has a lot to do with keeping the rpm up between shifts. I wouldn't call 5x25's very drivable, but once you get up past 1,500rpm they're not that bad. Having a manual valvebody helps a lot, and when I drove it all around LA I'd put it in neutral at stoplights too. If you're willing to deal with idle haze, I wouldn't be worried about 5x18s, they should be pretty clean driving around if you keep a light foot.

Think I will order the 5x18s and set them at 245 bar. Will give me a injector to grow into when building a14mm ve. Think its going to turn out to be pretty quick.

Mine is p, now. 5hole .018 is as small as you want to go if you have 14mm and high RPM in your future, and yes keep the pop pressure down for a 14mm.

Think I am going with a 5x16. Feel the 5x18 might be a little unrealistce right now. I dont mind the haze at idle but dont wsnt an injector hazing just driving down the road thats why I wss wondering if I should run a higher crack pressure. I dont know what JQmiles is running for crack pressure but know he has BIG injectors and seen video seem to drive down the road pretty clean

I ran 5x16 sdx with he351/s475 setup.

It was very smokey and needed alot of afc tunning to be a street truck that pulls any loads.

Play truck would be ok.
5x14 with higher pop pressure is what id be using if i didnt start p pump swaping

I ran 5x16 sdx on a maxed ve and it was TERRIBLE.

Way too big for the pump.

He351/s475 twuns and powerstoke intercooler.

I found afc setting very challenging....once i got it dialed in with valet switch and starwheel adjustment it was driveable but very smoky off the line empty and towing.
Till the turbo lit at a very fast 1600ish rpm it was a haze fest.

Also had the issue with big injectors when WOT then let off quick it starves them for fuel and then you have too bleed the injectors.......very annoying!!!!

At WOT they made power but i bet 400hp TOPS with the VE.....it pulled nice on hiway but not worth the negative characteristics.

I put in bd60hp......less power bit my mileage went from 12mpg ***** footing too 17mpg again....

My opinion is dont bother

I got my nozzle in yesterday 5x14 sac 145 really like them. Way more fuel then a stock turbo will handle. The 5x12s would hit more then 1650 on pyro. I do wish now that i would have tryed 5x16 or 18s to see how drivable they are with tuning. That will ne next step in injectors.

They have a very smootg idle almost no haze and cruise no haze following me. Would say they are a great injector

Back