First time at Track

APWCU

This past weekend I finally got my 98 2wd short bed 12 valve truck to the track. I found some MT Slicks with wheels locally and thought I would take it to see what it could do.

My best time was a 7.88 at 91.6 with a 1.88 60'. I was happy with the times that it ran, but was having trouble being consistent due to the trans shifting late.

I'm looking for suggestions now, on what I need to improve on based on my time slips and where my next step is for more power. I got to dyno it on Saturday and it put down 642 hp, and the torque was lower than I expected.

Pics below are of the best time slips and dyno graph. Working on posting a video of dyno and 7.88 pass at the track. I'm wondering if I need more air? Seems that I'm not clearing up the smoke, but maybe it's just in the tuning?

I did notice in the last pic, that the wheel on my secondary has some very small chips in the blades. Is this something to worry about? What would cause that to happen? The wheel has not touched the housing.

Thanks

309_zpsolj4v8ji.jpg

9_zps1pqcswrc.jpg

20150913_153557_zpsvzkldmd4.jpg

Congrats on the times and sounds like a nice build. I'm no expert BY ANY MEANS but I bet with where your at power wise, air is not an issue. The 60' needs to be trimmed down. Tires, suspension, burnout, track prep should all help lower your 60'. Cutting a 1.7 60' should make a larger change on the top end. Again I'm no expert and if the experts chime in and I'm misleading you, I'm sorry lol

I did notice in the last pic, that the wheel on my secondary has some very small chips in the blades. Is this something to worry about? What would cause that to happen? The wheel has not touched the housing.

Is the hot pipe new? Did you make sure you didn't have any loose weld on the inside that could have come off with heat, high velocity air, and vibration?

Is the hot pipe new? Did you make sure you didn't have any loose weld on the inside that could have come off with heat, high velocity air, and vibration?
This is on the compressor side, but yes I took a look at all the piping to make sure there wasn't anything obvious. Of course I could have missed something.

The compressor wheel almost looks like it had a slight build up of soot on it.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk

I personally think thats a good number for a 75 primary on a 12 valve if thats an unloaded dyno. That would also explain the tq numbers and why the power took so long to come on.

And that 60' is pretty decent too for a 2wd. Stock suspension? How much air in the slicks, and what boost pressure are you leaving at?

Last edited:
Stock suspension fully loaded truck still, have done nothing but mods in sig and added a coolant bypass.

We started at 25 psi and was spinning badly, ended up at 18 psi in the rear and was able to launch at around 15-18 lbs without spinning too much.

I'm definitely wanting to add more fuel at this point if it's my best option, but I would like to know If I need to be looking at more airflow before I do that? I have a spare 215 pump I'm thinking about sending off to get benched.

Thanks for the advice.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk

Caltrac bars with 2 leafs in rear, one round of preload on the calrac bars. Definitely sounds like you could use more fuel and a timing bump. I wouldnt be concerned with the small chips on the comp. inlet its common with wire gun fabbed twin piping slag or pieces of wire that weren't cleaned out of pipe before install.

Nice! I would lower the pressure in those slicks, unless it feels unsafe at the top end. Get em below 15 psi. It's weird because I only leave with around 10-12 psi boost and the launch is pretty violent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It started feeling a little unsafe on the top end, which is why I didn't go any lower. Plus it felt like it was hooking pretty good where I was at.

I have 2 leafs with Caltracs and it hooks great, but took a long time to get it right. My leafs are shot, the are S shaped from all the abuse and running without traction bars for a while. I think 3 leafs would hook pretty well and still be useable on the street. My truck gets driven everyday now, so its either add a leaf or add airbags.

Is your trans built? Are you locking the TC in 2nd?

Yes, trans is fully built by Goerend before they quit building them in house. It has billet input but stock output.

I was trying to lock my TC in 2nd, but was having a hard time being consistent because I have to do it manually. Whatever valve body mods mine has allows it to lock in first gear so I can't hit it at the line and let it do it automatically.

I will say that I was having trouble getting the trans shifting when I wanted to. It would run up higher than I wanted to before it shifted.

Do you have radial tires on the front, that will make it feel wiggly as the speed increases.
Get some bias ply tires for the front and then run 12-15 psi in the slicks.

Back