Fleece stand-alone VNT is ON THE TRUCK!

ya i got to talk to chase at ts.. he is a great guy to talk to.. cuts right through all the bull chit and tells you how it is..

Throw a drive pressure gauge on there! Are you able to produce any boost at idle?

As was mentioned already.... I can't help but immediately think of compounds with this sort of charger without wastegates....

Throw a drive pressure gauge on there! Are you able to produce any boost at idle?

I seriously doubt it... something is amiss with my setup... it feels really lazy... laggy, high egt's, etc. When I mentioned the spool-up to Chase yesterday, he said "something's wrong". I told him I was going to check for boost leaks today.

I did... no boost leaks :(

I'm wondering if my controller has the correct map on it. It's functioning, I can hear the actuation of the VNT, and I can control it w/ the knob.

I was thinking my converter might be the culprit because it's so tight, but even locked up in OD at 2000rpm, it's very lazy... I have to roll the throttle just right to be able to see 20psi at 2000rpm. with the 62/65 I could see 20psi at 1500. I've played with different programs, rail pressure, timing, etc. Added bottom end fuel, pulled bottom end fuel, etc.

I'm thinking the map in the controller was either mixed up or it needs some tweaking for my application. I know their test truck has 150's and a pump, but they did a lot of testing on TNT5, I'm on stock sticks, but I've got PLENTY of unburnt fuel down low! LOL I realize that quality aftermarket nozzles will have better atomization to a point, but not to this extent.

We'll get it sorted out, there's always going to be teething issues with something like this.

I fully understand the teething issues. It just sucks that you have to have a sensor shut you down, or have a "map" mismatched for the whole thing. They could of had it run off of just boost pressure and drive pressure and have the controller turn the veins to shoot for X-psi of boost with Y-psi of drive...

with correct PID tuning of course.....

they're going to add a drive pressure input later... It'll help tuning and optimize the exhaust brake function.

anyhow, I'm off to the dog park :cool:

Thanks for the info Forrest. I hope you get the issues sorted out soon so you can really get to playing with it.

I've got some software and maps for you buddy :) I think we may have to do some remote tuning with your laptop with me driving ... If you're ok with that.

That's the nice thing about it being USB updateable, on the fly in realtime, you can be driving, with the laptop in the seat, on an aircard, with me adjusting your VNT maps, from 800 miles away. Gotta love technology :D

Brayden

lol, awesome! yup, I was always a carb vs. EFI guy, and then P-pump vs. * guy, but it's definately hard to argue w/ technology anymore :eek:

I'm in PA on a job right now... I'll give you a buzz when I get back to TX :cool:

just got the software. I can't get my laptop to talk to the controller... might just be the cable. Going to get another cable and go from there.

Let us know how it works out. I think its a great idea if you can get the bugs worked out of it.

Eric

turns out I didn't have the drivers I needed. Brayden emailed them to me this afternoon and I got a chance to play w/ the software a little. This is just too cool! I made a few little tweaks, and WOW! It's a whole new truck!

It really didn't take much, but whereas before I couldn't get 20psi till around 2000rpm, I can now get 20psi at about 1600rpm. FWIW, I could get 20psi w/ my 62/65... this is a 64/71 w/ a .91 turbine housing! LOL

at one point I saw 40psi at 1/3 throttle at right around 2000rpm, but the compressor was wanting to surge

for some reason the controller isn't getting a good RPM signal. I need to double check my wiring, but even with just a simple duty cycle (vane position) vs. boost table, I've got a really sweet curve on it :)

once I get the RPM input sorted out and can actually build a proper MAP for it, I can already taste how sweet it's going to be... spool up of a 65mm turbine in a .80 housing w/ the big end of a 71mm turbine in a .91 housing

just found out I'm getting laid off on Friday, so I guess I'll actually have some time to play w/ the thing :eek: LOL

Back