Fleece vgt controller on 12v

Kind off topic but free does your collar move? Mine feels sticky. I have the air actuator in it and the spring to close it up but if I let the pressure down slow it sticks and won't close up unless I give it a tap. That's with the exhaust housing off too. It's not on the truck either so perhaps the lack of hot oil?

It will not move freely, there is snap ring style clamp on collar, you can see ´it if you remove the exhaust housing

Good to know, I just don't have a clue what snap ring you're talking about

Maybe the snap ring is wrong word, its more like spring wire .... look close where the arrow points , you will see it

attachment.php

Attachments

• holset vgt.JPG
    holset vgt.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 0
Actually, it should move freely enough your actuator should have no issues moving it when relaxed... It could be coked up inside. Check the inner bore of the collar when fully extended, it should be decently clean. A can of carb clean may be in your future to clean all the gummy oil/soot varnish out from under the collar.

Opening the housing all the way I can see some crud. It's not much though. This turbo looked super clean too. How often am I gonna have to pull it off for a cleaning? Thing weighs like 80 pounds!

Opening the housing all the way I can see some crud. It's not much though. This turbo looked super clean too. How often am I gonna have to pull it off for a cleaning? Thing weighs like 80 pounds!

Haha, more like 40, but it is awkward... As long as the oil seal continues to do it's job, once or twice a year. When my oil seal started leaking it was every other month, but that still wasn't terrible since I was used to the process by then. Please run water to your center section though, contrary to popular forum belief, the bearings do indeed need the water to stay cool. I fried my first 451 after three years due to heat related bearing failure :(

Back