Flexplate clamping ring?

thisguy65

Gathering parts to finally put motor and transmission together and I know in the OEM application there is a clamping ring that goes on top of the flex plate.

Since I don't currently have a flexplate was going to pick up one of the cheaper $150-ish SFI approve flex plates. However I'm not sure if the clamping ring is still used? I assume the clamping ring was used to help prevent the cracking/break of the flex plate around the mounting bolt holes.

I just recently installed an sfi approved flexplate from phil taylor at DPC and did not use the ring. I was just thinking with the ring it would lose that much more thread engagement in the crankshaft and figured it was pretty thick already.

I believe the use of the ring is for 2 reasons:

1. So the assembly was less hassle, no washers to worry with.
2. To preclude the bolts from digging into the flex plate and causing cracking, which they did anyway, but not around, or because of, the bolts.

I'd always run something between the bolt head and the flex plate, or flyweel on these trucks and I'd recommend loc-titing them in, too.

Mark.

I believe the use of the ring is for 2 reasons:

1. So the assembly was less hassle, no washers to worry with.
2. To preclude the bolts from digging into the flex plate and causing cracking, which they did anyway, but not around, or because of, the bolts.

I'd always run something between the bolt head and the flex plate, or flyweel on these trucks and I'd recommend loc-titing them in, too.

Mark.

Agreed, red loctite and either ARP fasteners or new OEM ones. I put on OEM's last time because ARP's were out of stock everywhere and haven't had an issue.

I need to find a clamping plate. I'm starting from zero for a off the wall build. (49 Ford F-1 rat rod)

Back