Flexplate/converter Rattle

APWCU

I just got a used <5000 miles goerend trans with a triple disc torque converter and bd billet flex plate installed in my 98 12v Cummins and it has a little bit of chattering going on at idle up to around 1500 Rpms.

I don't hear it anymore after I give it some throttle but it's loud enough to hear inside the truck when it's idling.

I took the inspection plate off but didn't notice anything obvious, is this common with triple disc torque converters? I checked the torque converter bolts and they are good.

I know that the factory spacer was not installed with the new flexplate, could that be the problem?

Thanks.

Anybody? Could something internal in the converter do this?

Thanks

Pull the inspection cover and see if you can move the flexplate back and forth separate from the crank. I had the bolts come loose on mine, and it sounded like a rod knocking, until it hit about 1800rpm.

I checked the flexplate, everything looked and felt tight.

ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGk1Jb-SP3Q

Here's a video I took of the noise, it's annoying enough that probably going to drop the trans and check everything. I was just hoping I could get someones experience with a similar problem.

Thanks

If the sound goes away after you put it in gear it should be fine.

It sounds like my buddies brand new triple disc, they tent to be noise until full fluid flow.

Last edited:
It does go away when I put in gear and the rpm's drop just a little, but when i let off the brake it makes the noise in gear until I get over about 1500 rpms.

That sounds like my buddies, we thought something was wrong to, took the inspection cover off saw nothing, checked converter bolts they were tight, turned the flexplate with a pry bar and everything moved together, then got a hold of the builder and he said that they are a little noisy, and that was with less than 500 miles.

Last edited:
My ATS 5 disk is very loud. Ran it for 3-4yrs like that no issues. Pulled it and sent it to DPC for a re-stall and came back all new internals and he said there was nothing wrong. Also installed a billet flex plate when converter came back the noise was no different then the stock plate. Its been doing it for a while and still does it, quiets down when in gear.

the 47re and 48re use stator supports and convertor hubs that are unique to each other. mixing the wrong pair together is possible and is worth investigating.

its a frequent thing in the wiz bang persformance dodge trans industry to tell people theyre interchangeable and swipe their card, but they are not.

Well I sent the video to Goerend and they said to send the converter back to them, it's under warranty so I'm getting.the trans out Thursday and shipping it out unless I find something else obvious.

I'll update when I find something out.

Got the trans out, nothing looks obvious.

Can the snout of the converter hitting the crank cause that noise? What about having the flexplate installed without the factory spacer? Would it not push the converter back off of the back of the engine an 1/8" or so?

I didn't notice any difference in my torque converters. Stock or billet triple disc.

Where did you find that information? I've never heard that.

in a conversation with ed lee of sonnax. they will work, but a slight interference causes trouble over time. there are companies that make stator supports claiming 47re/48re universal but they are unique. its a detail most shops arent aware of. a good shop will sell you a convertor specific to a 47 or specific to a 48. the stator support thats in the trans is what matters.

the sonnax tech section has a ton of articles and i feel like one of eds is buried in there with the specifics. title was something about 1740 codes iirc. i believe its the stator support and the impeller hub that cant be mixed but im not a trans guru, i might have that wrong.

Last edited:
holy crap..mine nevr made any noise like that...its a gorend triple with adbll laminate suncoast flexplate

i wouldnt even have run that

Goerend called Friday, they replaced the clutches and put a new front cover on the converter and sent it back out.

We'll see if that fixes the problem, what else could it be if that wasn't it? Flexplate looks good and is tight, could the pump produce a noise like that? It definitely sounded like it was coming directly from the converter area when it was in.

Just updating this in case someone runs into the same problem.

Put the rebuilt converter back in, installed the factory washer and put in a new pump seal and bushing and now there is no noise at all.

I'm not sure if this was originally coming from the converter or something else, but I'm glad that it wasn't back when I started up the truck.

Thanks for the help.

Back