FrankenTurbo H1C/HX35/HX40 mutt

earthdad

Piecing together a turbo. I have an Hx35 center housing and compressor housing machined out for 62mm by 86mm wheel. Have a 21cm non-gated and a 16cm non gated. turbine is 70mm/60mm. I was going to use the stock 70/60 shaft.
That would make it 62/60/16. My questions are will this work? Should I get a different turbine wheel/shaft, 65mm maybe. Could have turbine housing machined. What injectors would be needed to match with this? How to regulate boost? Diverter? wastegate? bov? Will it even spool up if the compressor inducer is larger than the turbine exducer?

truck is 92 w250, 3200spring to install, transgo in a518, 4" DE, needing lift pump, needing i/p tweeks, injectors??

It will work fine. Try the 21 first. Max the fuel screw buy some PODS and be ready to fix your trans. Should make about 35psi no gate needed.

It will work fine. Try the 21 first. Max the fuel screw buy some PODS and be ready to fix your trans. Should make about 35psi no gate needed.

So Hurley, are you saying I would want to limit peak boost?

I'm getting alot of different responses. Some say 62/60/16 will work, some say 62/60/21, others say anytime your compressor inducer is larger than your turbine exducer there is more tendency for surging.

I could go ahead and order a shaft and wheel assembly from a hx35/40 wwhich would be a 70/64 ten blade and have the 16cm housing bored out.

It would be better to spend $130 than damage equip.

Honestly with that large of a turbine housing, you may not have te surge issue. But if you do decide to switch wheels use the 76/64.

My old upgraded HC1 is a 60/60/18, and I never had any issues with it. I say go aggressive and try the 16 first, just watch total boost.

My 21cm made 35lbs and spooled decent. Try them both, but limit your time spent at boost above 40 or so (which is overspeeding, hot, inefficient, and will lead to a short life)

Sounds good, thanks. I have plans to do a compound in the future using my hx35. Would PODS still be a good injector, or is there something else I could grow with?

There are plenty of good injectors. PODs are just nice and cheap. I heard of a company called Diesel Auto Power. They seem reasonable. Maybe someone else can chime in. Just get the correct spray angle (145*)I'd just like to see you make power as inexpensive as possible cause your gonna need money for a trans. ;).

Last edited:
Sounds good, thanks. I have plans to do a compound in the future using my hx35. Would PODS still be a good injector, or is there something else I could grow with?

IMO I wouldn't go cheap on injectors. POD's are decent but dirty as all get out. You'll thank yourself later if you buy a good set of sticks. Find a good set of 5x.012's or if you're feeling a little froggy you can jump up to a 5x.014.

Sent from a Dumb Phone using Tapatalk 2

No boost!

Well got turbo installed. I couldn't go with anything but stock hx35 turbine shaft 70/60 12 blade. Maybe getting on it hard I can see 11lbs for a second. At 70mph I see about 2lbs. Otherwise boost gauge stays at zero. I ran copper line from manny but coupled to nylon under dash. Connections seem good. Could it be this thing never really spoils up? It sound good. Do I need to get some adapter to check for leaks?

The 16cm2 non gated. WWhat the best way to begin check? If I mount gauge right close to manifold annd rev it up Should I see some boost?

Back