freeze plug bolt pattern help.

sundown57

Im looking to make a plate to go ever the rear freeze plug, I see them for sale but I have a machine shop and would like to just make my own. problem is its almost imposable to get a set of calipers up behind the engine to measure the distance between the bolt holes accurately . Would any one happen to know center distance of the 2. and how wide the plate needs to be to cover the freeze plug ? thanks in advance .

I dont want the one with the freeze plug in it . I put new freeze plugs in the engine this summer. I just want to put a plate over it to ensure it can't pop out, yes I know I can just buy it but I can also make it .

Gotcah.. What are you doing with the truck that you would cause enough coolant pressure to make one blow out? As long as they are installed corret it take a LOT or pressure to cause one to come out.

I probably dont need it . but I read several posts of people that have blown them. and that got me to thinking it would be nice if I put a cover on it sos not to have to worry about it. Im retired and have time to play with things like this and enjoy doing it , I made a billet tappet cover for it complete with an o ring groove. I made an adaptor for the thermostat so I could run a 203 degree and still have the by pass door work properly and now for the heck of it I was thinking of making this . No I dont need it , yes I know I can buy it , I can even send the truck out and have some one else install it. not much fun for me tho.

Last edited:
I understand.. I actually have a billet freeze plug laying out in my truck for my pulling truck. Would a couple pics with it next to a measuring tape help any?

before I have you do that and if no one else chimes in ill check with my local junk yard in the am im sure they will have one I can measure up . thanks

CHoBROD.jpg

I spent far more time trying to figure out how to post this than what it took to actually draw it.

I have a stack of these things, I should probably list them on ebay or something.

Last edited:
wow

CHoBROD.jpg

I spent far more time trying to figure out how to post this than what it took to actually draw it.

I have a stack of these things, I should probably list them on ebay or something.

wow , Ask and tho shall receive. thats fantastic. thank you. now I dont know if I should make one or buy one from you lol

I dont want the one with the freeze plug in it . I put new freeze plugs in the engine this summer. I just want to put a plate over it to ensure it can't pop out, yes I know I can just buy it but I can also make it .

If it pops back far enough to push into the new billet plate (with no raised material in the plug hole area to keep it from doing so), it's going to leak anyway. Don't waste your time.

If it pops back far enough to push into the new billet plate (with no raised material in the plug hole area to keep it from doing so), it's going to leak anyway. Don't waste your time.

Yeah I thought of that already I plan to machine a step into it

CHoBROD.jpg

Thought you might like to see your efforts of posting where not in vain . It came out perfect and fits lol. thank you much

Attachments

• IMG_3189.JPG
    IMG_3189.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3191.JPG
    IMG_3191.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 0
Back