Front ABS sensor compatability issue....

rightwinger

My Goldendoodle chewed up my front right ABS sensor wire while on Christmas vacation, I was upset but figured it would be an easy fix. Here is my dilema sofar: Replaced the right front sensor with the BWD brand sensor (part # ABS321) and buttoned the truck up and both the brake light and the parking brake light were still on, I took my truck over to a shop and had the codes cleared out thinking the light was going to stay on for so many key cycles. When pulling out of the shop both lights came back on. I had him scan it again and it was pulling 2 codes, one was saying that it wasn't getting a signal, and the other code pointed towards the same thing in the right front sensor. I went home and checked every fuse under the hood and in the cab. I put a multimeter on the new sensor itself and checked for ohms and continuity, it was the exact same as my front left which does work. I even checked the pins in the wiring harnes back to the ABS module to make sure there was no issue there. Sofar everything is checking out fine. I went to have it scanned again while the vehicle was moving and it was not getting a reading at all from the front right wheel, it was not intermittent, it was non-existent. So I took the wheel apart and pulled the new sensor out and compared it with the old, damaged sensor. To my suprise the old sensor measures 13/16ths of an inch, or 2 centimeters. The replacement sensor was 1/16th of an inch shorter and only had 1 O-ring on it instead of 2 O-rings the OEM sensor had. I have since tried searching diligently and cannot find the same sensor anywhere. I am almost positive that 1/16th of an inch is keeping the sensor from getting a reading on the tone ring. I have tried a 2003 sensor, and 98-2002 and none of them are any longer, or will plug into the plug under my hood. I'm about out of options, any help would be appreciated. I have been to 6 part stores and they are all stumped when I show them the old sensor. I'm trying to avoid taking this to a dealership. Thanks in advance!

Back