Front band replacement without pulling trans?

SPEEDSHIFT

Can anybody tell me the easiest way to fish a new front band in a 48re? Trying to patch my brother in-laws truck as he cant swing a full rebuild at the moment and I would rather not tear up the drum as ill be the one rebuilding it.

I readjusted it yesterday and the adjuster is below flush at the lock nut... not much left.

I appreciate the help guys.

Just run it and save faster! You have to take the pump off and the VB so might as well drop it!
Full rebuild kit is 300. and your time! BUT if you damage hard parts then price goes up fast!

They make a slip in band. Just have to drop the Valvebody. I do them quite often for guys without a budget allowing a full rebuild.

I've done it with a stock band. Just grind down the tab a little then slip it through and build it back up with a welder. A slip in band will work as well.

They make a slip in band. Just have to drop the Valvebody. I do them quite often for guys without a budget allowing a full rebuild.

Can I get some info on a slip in band? I appreciate it.

EDIT: Just noticed Klean posted a link, thanks guys.

Last edited:
Just call wittrans and get a slip in band. Drop the VB and cut the old one off on the driver side and use a piece of string or wire tied to the old one to pull the new one back through..

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I've done it with stock band, bend tab on band down and snake wire around drum. Easy fix

Back